Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question Are we being to strict/protective??

Are we being to strict/protective??

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 06-25-12, 03:07 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 2078.89%
Default Are we being to strict/protective??

*Disclaimer* My wife is a pack a day smoker. She does not smoke in the house/car at all. She does not let the kids see her smoke at all, she goes on the porch to "make a phone call". 
ffice

ffice" />

This weekend my wife's uncle is getting remarried in Myrtle Beach (about a 7-8hour drive from us) and we had to turn down the invitation. With 3 kids it's way too much time in the car and money for basically 1 day at the beach. My wife's Uncle has offered to take our daughter Kaydence (6yr) down with him, as she can ride with his daughter (10yr) in his car. The only issue is Kaydence would have to ride back with Leslie's Aunt (sister of the uncle getting married) and her girlfriend. The issue being that they are both heavy smokers and would not be stopping for smoke breaks but lighting up in the car with the windows cracked.

Neither of us is ok with this. They are giving us a hard time saying it wouldn't matter because the drive would be at night and she'd be asleep (like she wouldn't inhale second hand smoke while sleeping??) and that since Leslie smokes its hypocritical. They've made comments about "what a shame it is Kaydence will have to miss out on the trip" because of our choice.

I've already made up my mind but I just wanted to get some other opinions on the situation.

Thanks

Old 06-25-12, 09:43 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 3751.11%

Nope. I would let my daughter travel to an out of town event at 6 years old without me, period. How's that for strict and overprotective?

And smoking with kids in car is not healthy at all. Only a dumba$$ would say it was okay b/c she would be sleeping.

Old 06-26-12, 02:04 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 784.44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsS1stbaby

Nope. I would let my daughter travel to an out of town event at 6 years old without me, period. How's that for strict and overprotective?

And smoking with kids in car is not healthy at all. Only a dumba$$ would say it was okay b/c she would be sleeping.
This is my reply 100%

Old 06-26-12, 03:23 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 2078.89%

Thanks, it's good to get some back up!

Old 06-26-12, 08:28 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 3751.11%

Glad to see that even with my typo (would instead of wouldn't), ya'll got me. It's nice to know ya'll know what I mean, lol!

Latest Articles
Kate Middleton Pregnant: Second Royal Baby on the Way
The rumors are true! Kate Middleton and Prince William are expecting their second baby. Get the details inside.

What You Should Know about Enterovirus-68
Enterovirus-68, a respiratory virus that has hundreds of children treated in the hospital is spreading across the country. Here's what you need to know if your baby or child gets sick.

Labor & Delivery Photographers: A New Trend
Your labor is packed, and you are ready to go. However, one person you might be forgetting about is the photographer. A new trend is hiring a photographer to capture the precious moments of when your baby first enters the world is now a must have!

Does Your Baby Need Probiotic Formula?
Probiotics are naturally present in your baby's stomach, but some formulas have probiotics added to it. Doe you baby really need probiotic add to his/her baby formula?

A Guide to Baby Clothes: From Sizes to Styles
Have you ever noticed that baby clothes are sized by age, instead of by measurements? Use this guide to help you pick the correct sizes for your baby. Hint: It's not by their age!

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations nwad2470!

Calculators & Tools