Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question Are we being to strict/protective??

Are we being to strict/protective??

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 06-27-12, 03:41 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1008.57%

I wouldn't be comfortable with a 6yo being driven 7-8 hrs away from us even without the smoking issue.

Old 06-27-12, 11:19 PM
is a stay at home Mommy<3
Community Member

Thanked 4 Times
Level: 8
Weekly Activity 3553.57%

amen. second hand smoke is even worse! its not hypocritical if she goes AWAY from the child rather than smoking in an inclosed box with the windows down while the child is sleeping. instead just plan a special day/time with your child, to spend together as a family smoke free.

but I agree with you 100%. Not being overprotective just being a smart/ good parent thinking of your child first

Old 06-28-12, 04:00 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 2672.86%

Again, thanks for the support.

I also wanted to make clear that Leslie's Aunt isn't a bad person (her mom's another story.....). I know she loves and cares very deeply for our kids. I really honestly think it's more of a generational type of thing. I now Leslie's grandfather was a heavy smoker and smoked around his three kids who all are now smokers, Leslie's mom is a heavy smoker and smoked around her, suprise suprise Leslie smokes!

I just think we're the first people (on her side) in the family to put our feet down and say this is no longer acceptable.

Old 06-28-12, 06:11 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6147.86%

Those people are freaks to think that you'd just let your child go like that.

There isn't a planet I could live on where it would be okay to let my kiddo go away like that with anyone, especially if they were planning to smoke in the car. Not. A. Chance.

I grew up with smokers and now I have a cough to rival those pack-a-day smokers. I hope for your family's sake, Leslie is able to kick the habit soon. It's not good for any of you.

Old 06-29-12, 12:11 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 2672.86%

She's working on starting a plan to cut down, then quit.

My Mother and Grandmother smoke, but are light smokers and didn't smoke around us too much. We've all come a long way I can remember when I was a kid people smoked on elevators and McDonalds had a smoking section!

Latest Articles
Can What a Man Drinks Affect His Fertility?
Yes. It turns out that drinking a pint of beer per day helps increase male fertility. Learn why.

Maternity Belts To Relieve Back and Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy
Consider using a maternity belt to help relieve the back and pelvic pressure and pain you might feel during your third trimester of pregnancy.

Headaches and Migraines in Pregnancy: What are Your Options?
If you suffer from migraine headaches, they be felt more often during pregnancy. However, there are things you can do during to feel better. Here are natural, and medical remedies that can help.

Fertility Rates In Career Women Are Rising
Fertility rates are rising for career women, as it is becoming less difficult to raise a family while working. Here are some facts and tips to help guide you along the way.

Pregnancy Loss: Don’t Suffer in Silence
Coping with a pregnancy loss is just as devastating as losing a loved one.

October 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Callum is about to be a big brother!" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations emilygrace87!

Calculators & Tools