Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
At what age do you teach knife and fork use

At what age do you teach knife and fork use

Reply Post New Topic

• alb526 alb526's Avatar 05-03-09 | 01:15 PM
  • It took mt oldest forever to learn how to use a knife and fork (and napkin!) Geez, he was in middle school before he ate like a human. DD has been a little easier but at 10 there are things she still has trouble with. DS at 4 can cut with the side of his fork but I still cut his meat for him. Maybe it's something we should work on more. I like the play-doh idea.
  • MrsPook MrsPook's Avatar 05-04-09 | 10:48 AM
  • Ryan is 4.5 and uses a fork very well and has for a long time but I am too scared to even let him near a knife!

I don't mind cutting up his food for him, at least for now still.
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 05-04-09 | 11:57 AM
  • DD uses one of those dull kids knifes and does quite well with soft foods. Then again she eats no meat so all her foods are soft. LOL!

She started around 4. Now DS is almost 4 and I can't even begin to want to let him cut anything. They do both use butter knifes out at restaurants to butter their bread.

I still cut grapes, any choking hazard kind of food for them. DD doesn't "need" the grapes cut but her school requires it so I do it for her.
  • Janine Janine's Avatar 05-04-09 | 02:47 PM
  • Kimmie is in first grade and we are just now allowing her to have a knife to butter her bread and stuff. I tried once when she was like 3 and almost a got a knife in my nose.

Latest Articles

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner

July 2018 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Willow!!