Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question What can this be?

What can this be?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 08-06-08, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 28.18%
Default What can this be?

My MIL is acting very weird lately. I should start by saying I'd think this was menopause, except she's 63.

She's been having hot flashes a lot of the time, and she's been really moody. Last night, she looked really pale and I asked her to come in and sit down (they were standing in the doorway) and she did. About 10 minutes later she got really confrontational and caused a big blow up between her and FIL. She was actually mad at me. It was easy to see that she was the one pissed about it, but she pinned it on FIL and you could tell he was shocked at the way she was acting. Mind you, we've had one disagreement in 10 years, and that was between FIL and I.

Any idea what could be going on? She is healthy as a horse in every way.

Old 08-06-08, 09:29 PM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

sounds totally hormonal though....

but in my book all MIL's are odd

I can't stand the fact that one day I'll be a MIL

Old 08-06-08, 09:33 PM
Kids... 24/7

Thanked 265 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

I'd keep tabs on it though... doesn't sound right to me.

Old 08-06-08, 09:47 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 28.18%

I know. I was up tossing and turning last night too, worrying that she thinks I'm a bad mother. They're the type of people who you never know where you stand with them.

Then, I think about all my mother went through with my grandparents. My grandmother was on my mom's a$$ 24/7.

Old 08-06-08, 10:45 PM
CL Makenna & Kieran's Mom

Thanked 24 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

I would keep an eye on her. It may be an isolated incident or it could be the beginning of dementia. Two of the symptoms are:
Changes in mood. Everyone is moody occasionally, but patients may have fast mood swings, going from calm to tears to anger in just minutes.

Personality changes. Patients may have drastic changes in personality, often becoming irritable, suspicious or fearful.

I'm not sure if she is experiencing anything else on the list.

Latest Articles
Benefits of Breastfeeding For a Year or Longer
Only 27% of mothers breastfeed their babies for one year, even though there are benefits abound. Learn the benefits of nursing your baby for a year or longer for both your baby, and for yourself.

October 2014 Celebrity Births and Pregnancy Announcements
Get the latest celebrity baby gossip including who recently has a baby, and who has just announced their expecting, in our monthly celebrity baby and pregnancy update.

2014 High Chair Buying Guide
If you are not sure which high chair to buy for your baby, take a look at our recommendations that are safe, and easy to use.

10 Car Seat Mistakes Most Parents Make
Studies show that many parents make these 10 common mistakes. Find out how to make sure your baby's car seat is safe.

Interpreting Your Pregnancy Dreams
Many pregnant women experience strange dreams that seem to come out of nowhere. Find out what your dreams during pregnancy might mean.

September 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations romasa!

Calculators & Tools