Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question What is your opinion on the swine flu?

What is your opinion on the swine flu?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 05-01-09, 09:18 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1412%
Arrow What is your opinion on the swine flu?

I go back and forth between thinking its nothing to worry about and worrying that it is much worse than they are telling us.

What do you think?

Old 05-02-09, 12:01 AM
Kids... 24/7

Thanked 265 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 2%

I'm also going back/forth about worrying about it!!

One of my kids came home with paperwork about swine flu & how to prevent it & what to do if you suspect you/your child has it. It's all pretty straight-forward. Wash your hands & eat healthy to prevent... if you think you have it see your doctor... don't cough on people... stay home.

I guess they're working on a vaccine... but it won't be ready until the fall??

It would take A LOT for me to "hermit" my family & not go anywhere/do anything...
But, for now... we're simply being extra mindful about washing our hands before we eat & whenever we come inside. I also bought more of that alcohol-based hand sanitizer & have some in the cars & my bag. I also have small hand sanitizers in the boys snack boxes & they use it at school before they eat.

Old 05-02-09, 12:45 AM
is Fins Up
melanie

Thanked 48 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

my opinion the media is hyping it way too much, more people die every year of the "regular" flu than have even been infected with this.
Thank you charmel96!
TLBT (05-02-09)

Old 05-02-09, 10:18 AM
is just one of those weird girls.
A work in progress

Thanked 84 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

My exact thoughts Charmel. I was reading everything I could last night to see why the swine flu is SO bad. I didn't see anything. I don't see taking any precautions that we don't already take. According to the CDC, there are 141 cases in the US....on the grand scale of things--that's nothing really. 1 person has died (as of May 1, 2009--11am) and not that 1 person's life doesn't count...but when you're talking about epidemics, I mean come on. Yes, it's contagious...but so is every other flu that goes around. Yes, you can become VERY sick just the same with any influenza. Influenza mutates every year--the reason for a different flu shot each year--so again, what's the big deal? And this 'swine flu' originally thought to be genetically similiar to a swine flu North American pigs contract...is not the same. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Old 05-02-09, 10:49 AM
Eric & Ty's Mommy

Thanked 113 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

I dont know either, I do think that its alot of media hype, but it is a little scary, I worked last night and every (I mean EVERY) call was my kid has a runny nose, I think he needs to be tested for swine, my son has a sore throat, it could be swine ... COME ON people, its more than likely a cold or allergies. it was a bit annoying but yeah, good hygeine I guess is the key and if you suspect, get treated right away, really at this point, what more can you do? I will say though I think I am going to stay out of the malls and such for a bit (unless I really need to go) but I wont be keeping my kids home or in the house.
Post Reply Post New Topic  

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools