Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Wood laminate

Reply Post New Topic

• Heidi1361 Heidi1361's Avatar 05-14-08 | 09:16 PM
  • (I think that's what it's called...?)

Does anyone have this for their flooring??

I'd love some general info & any hints/tips... I don't think we'll install it ourselves though.

Do you keep the baseboards that you have or does it come with it's own??

What if the floor below it isn't perfectly level??

Anywhere I SHOULD, or SHOULDN'T look??
    How much am I going to end up spending... sigh.
Thank you Heidi1361!
Chickie (05-15-08)
  • Oreo Oreo's Avatar 05-14-08 | 09:20 PM
  • I don't know anything about it, but I'd start by walking through Lowes or Home Depot. You'll see plenty of kinds there and multiple quality levels. They can tell you all about costs, installation, etc..

Sounds like a fun project!

Thank you Oreo!
Chickie (05-15-08)
  • Pumkin Pumkin's Avatar 05-14-08 | 11:35 PM
  • We have it and dh did it himself. If the floor isn't level they will level it if they install it. You can either keep the existing baseboard or get new, whichever you prefer. We did 3 bedrooms, kitchen and dining room so just about 1,000 sq. ft. and including the underlay we spent about $1,500. Dh said if you have it installed it will cost you double to triple the cost. They really rake you over the coals with installation. You also need to ask if they will charge to remove the existing flooring.

There are a lot of different pricing, low to high. We got a mid range one. Everybody that comes here seems to like it. We got ours at Lowes, it is the Heritage Pine.
Thank you Pumkin!
Chickie (05-15-08)
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 05-15-08 | 02:34 AM
  • I have installed it myself. Its really not that hard.

If your floor is uneven, you will want to level it out first. They sell leveling compound which works on small (3-5foot) areas, but if your entire house slopes, then you have bigger issues, kwim?

having the proper underlayment is important. For instance, you shouldn't install over a bunch of vinyl flooring or carpeting

but stripping all the old flooring down until you have the underlayment or even the subfloor is fine. If you go all the way down to the subfloor, you should put a new underlayment down.
    You want to buy the best laminate insulation they sell, the insulation (the foam/rubber stuff that goes under the laminate flooring). You also want to make SURE that you don't have any moisture issues coming up from the subflooring below. (you can do a moisture test with tape and a piece of clear plastic).

Laminate comes in all sorts of qualities. The thicker the better obviously. We installed super cheap stuff in our rental house and it doesn't hold up very well compared to the better quality more expensive stuff. Next time, I'll not just go for what's cheapest.

Also, I wouldn't recommend laminate flooring in bathrooms and kitchens. Kitchens aren't as bad as bathrooms, though because no matter how 'good' your laminate claims to be when it comes to holding up against moisture, it's not good enough

I personally wouldn't buy at Home Depot or Lowes. You can do all the looking and browsing you want, but when you're ready to select and buy, go to an actual flooring only store. They're almost always a great deal cheaper and if you time it, you can get it on good sale or catch the 'last year's model' going on clearance. (which is what I did)

baseboards? You are talking about the decorative wood running around the base of the walls, right? (like crown molding on the bottom).

that all has to be removed for installation. After it's installed, you can re-install your original baseboards if you took care in removing them (I re-installed mine), or you can buy new ones. The flooring doesn't come with those, but they do have things like 1/4 round moldings to help transition between walls and the floor or other areas. sometimes, the cut isn't quite right and you need that extra area under the molding to hide the gaps. (and there are intentional gaps too because laminate floors 'float'. They have to have space on the sides to expand during the weather changes)
Thank you skyqueen!
Chickie (05-15-08)
  • Heidi1361 Heidi1361's Avatar 05-15-08 | 07:55 AM

•  

Thank you to EVERYONE for all the very helpful information!! Our current floor is pretty flat actually... it really STINKS that it'd probably cost double or triple to have someone install it... Maybe I can beg my brothers to help us so we don't COMPLETELY SCREW IT UP!!
    I'm thinking of it for our dining room (which is right next to our), living room & small hallway... I'm not sure about our bedrooms... maybe... we'll see.
Thank you Heidi1361!
Chickie (05-15-08)

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work