Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Pregnancy Message Boards > Baby Names Naming your kid after an ex

Naming your kid after an ex

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 07-30-12, 02:08 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 2095.45%
Default Naming your kid after an ex

One of the ladies at work said she gave her son the name of her ex-fiance. If my hubby did something like this without my knowledge, I would be livid. She thinks I'm over-sensitive. What do you all think?

Old 07-30-12, 09:16 AM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 3069.09%

It would be a little strange, especially if the relationship was that serious and didn't end all that long ago. When were thinking of names for our son, I did have "Jason" on the list, and while that was old boyfriend's name, it was from when I was around 15 (and I was 30 when I had my son), so I did not feel it was a big deal. I just thought it was a good boy's name that is not used as much anymore.

Old 07-31-12, 04:30 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 2095.45%

That sounds reasonable. Another friend of mine, who's had quite the fun during her single days said, if she had to exclude all the guy's names' she dated, she would have to name her son Apple

Old 07-31-12, 10:37 AM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 3069.09%

Hahahaha! At least she can joke about it....

My nephew's name is Ethan which is name of an old highschool boyfriend of mine; he was even my homecoming date. (well, one of them- I went to homecoming 3 times)

Old 07-31-12, 10:14 PM
is a stay at home Mommy<3
Community Member

Thanked 4 Times
Level: 8
Weekly Activity 2261.36%

I would never name my kid after any "serious" ex. I had the name picked out for Molly which was Sophia, dead set on it for a few months. Until my fiance finally told me it was the name of his girlfriend who he had dated before me. That completely ruined the name for me and spent weeks figuring a different name. I would be soooo angry if i went thru with that name and he told me later on because everytime i or him would hear the name we'd think of this other female. But i'm much happier with the name Molly, because its not really a common name :]

Latest Articles
Baby Development: When Will Baby Be Rolling Over
Find out when to expect your baby to roll over, how to know he's ready, and how to keep your baby safe when the rolling begins.

When Becoming Parents Kills Your Coupledom
It's a common problem after baby arrives to forget about the most important part of your family: Your Marriage. Find out why marriages seem to fall apart after baby, and how to get back to being the couple you once were.

How to Afford a Baby in the U.S. Today
It's true that raising a baby through the college years is expensive, especially today. However, with savvy financial skills, any couple can afford a baby today. Learn how!

Celebrity Baby News: August 2014
August 2014 was hopping with new celebrity births and pregnancy announcements from celebrities like Christina Aguilera, Kelsey Grammer, Christian Bale, and Christina Ricci. Get the details here!

Bexco Recalls 1,100 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs
Bexco's Franklin & Ben Mason style 4-in-1 style cribs due to fall and entrapment hazards. Get information about how to order a repair kit to keep your baby safe.

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations bexiboo85!

Calculators & Tools