Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Pregnancy Message Boards > Baby Names >
Need unusual name for our Daughter!

Need unusual name for our Daughter!

Reply Post New Topic

• Grateful Dad Grateful Dad's Avatar 12-21-09 | 10:06 AM
  • I too wanted a more unusual name. My name is Mike and I grew up with at least 2 Mike's in every single class I was in. I hated it.

Plus, while some people find comfort in a common name, I personally find it dull and impersonal. As a unique person I am not fond of a name that will be shared with millions of people.

When trying to find a name for our daughter we hadn't yet come to an agreement but the leading contender was Mưa, like the singer. My father-in-law's name is Lee, so one day my wife suggest Miley... but what I heard was Mưa+Lee and thought that it was cute and unique. So I agreed.

Later on when telling everyone we had agreed upon a name we were then asked how we spell it. I said M-I-A-L-E-E and my wife looked at me like I was stupid and said, "No, it's M-I-L-E-Y". So the disagreement began.

Ultimately-this was before we knew the gender-I told her that if she would go with my spelling then I would let her "win" with her choice for the name of a boy. Her leading pick was Merrick and mine was Hayden. What I didn't tell her was that I was actually split 50/50 on both those names so it didn't really matter to me which boy name we chose. I'm bad, I know.

In the end she agreed to Mialee (pronounced My-uh-lee or Mưalee, but when said it sounds like Miley) and we ended up having the girl.

The name-while very rare-isn't unheard of. There are a couple Mialee's out there that I found after googling the name.

My advice would be to piece together parts of names that mean something to you. I thought my wife was taking our leading choice of Mưa and adding on her dad's name, which was cute. I was wrong and just misheard her, but the idea is solid. Try piecing together parts of your leading ideas.

Last edited by Grateful Dad; 12-21-09 at 10:09 AM..
  • raisingkids 01-22-10 | 07:11 PM
  • Theodora Marie

Theodora Evangeline

Theodora Melissa

Theodora Elysa/Alisa/Alyssa
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 02-13-10 | 10:25 PM
  • I love the name Theodore/Theodora. It is a really pretty name. In Greek Thea and Theo mean aunt and uncle respectively.

I also love Evangeline.