Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Pregnancy Message Boards > Baby Names Need unusual name for our Daughter!

Need unusual name for our Daughter!

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 12-21-09, 10:06 AM
is loving being a parent
Mialee's Dad

Thanked 2 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%

I too wanted a more unusual name. My name is Mike and I grew up with at least 2 Mike's in every single class I was in. I hated it.

Plus, while some people find comfort in a common name, I personally find it dull and impersonal. As a unique person I am not fond of a name that will be shared with millions of people.

When trying to find a name for our daughter we hadn't yet come to an agreement but the leading contender was Mưa, like the singer. My father-in-law's name is Lee, so one day my wife suggest Miley... but what I heard was Mưa+Lee and thought that it was cute and unique. So I agreed.

Later on when telling everyone we had agreed upon a name we were then asked how we spell it. I said M-I-A-L-E-E and my wife looked at me like I was stupid and said, "No, it's M-I-L-E-Y". So the disagreement began.

Ultimately-this was before we knew the gender-I told her that if she would go with my spelling then I would let her "win" with her choice for the name of a boy. Her leading pick was Merrick and mine was Hayden. What I didn't tell her was that I was actually split 50/50 on both those names so it didn't really matter to me which boy name we chose. I'm bad, I know.

In the end she agreed to Mialee (pronounced My-uh-lee or Mưalee, but when said it sounds like Miley) and we ended up having the girl.

The name-while very rare-isn't unheard of. There are a couple Mialee's out there that I found after googling the name.

My advice would be to piece together parts of names that mean something to you. I thought my wife was taking our leading choice of Mưa and adding on her dad's name, which was cute. I was wrong and just misheard her, but the idea is solid. Try piecing together parts of your leading ideas.

Last edited by Grateful Dad; 12-21-09 at 10:09 AM.

Old 01-22-10, 07:11 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Theodora Marie

Theodora Evangeline

Theodora Melissa

Theodora Elysa/Alisa/Alyssa

Old 02-09-10, 05:43 PM
is hoping to concieve SOON
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I like Avery!

Old 02-13-10, 10:25 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Weekly Activity 220%

I love the name Theodore/Theodora. It is a really pretty name. In Greek Thea and Theo mean aunt and uncle respectively.

I also love Evangeline.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools