Baby Corner

Old 10-18-09, 11:01 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Too 'out there?'

My hubby and I both love the name Erasmus for a boy, but is it too strange? We do want something that stands out a bit. Our last name is quite plain, 2-syllables and ends in -y. We would choose a short, simple mn. Another option would be Sander (Alexander is a family name.) For a girl we love Evan Susanna, Evan Amelia, or Evan Olivia. What do you think? Thanks!

Old 10-18-09, 11:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 353 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

If I did Sander, I would be more tempted to spell is Xander... Your girls names are cute, but I like the middle names you have chosen and would likely use on of those for a first and then Evan in the middle..

Old 10-18-09, 11:46 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

I'm a teacher so I'm partial to "regular" names, and I do not like Erasmus at all. I like Xander better than Sander, although I think Xander is pronounced "Zander" and "Sander" is with an S.

I think Evan is a boy's name and most people will think your baby is a boy if you go with it for a girl.

If it were me... I would choose one of your middle names for a first name and save "Erasmus" "Sander" and "Evan" for middle names.

But in the end, this is YOUR baby and like I always say--- name him or her what YOU love. This is why we don't tell people the names we have chosen till after the baby's born. I have 2 friends, one who named her kid Dewey (actually met her on here), and the other who named her kid Korbin. I didn't like either of the names at first (but never said so of course) but after the kids were born and I got to see them and learn their personalities, they both totally grew into the names and I can't imagine them being named anything else. Good luck and welcome to tbc.

Old 10-19-09, 02:19 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

[QUOTE=QTeach333;2971056]I'm a teacher so I'm partial to "regular" names, and I do not like Erasmus at all. I like Xander better than Sander, although I think Xander is pronounced "Zander" and "Sander" is with an S.

I totally agree, Erasmus is a lot of name for a little baby, and not to mention he has to go to schoool at some point. Xander in any for is a nice name. Evan Xander is a cute unisex name also.

I made up a name of my own from about 9-12 yr old because I didnt like my given name.

Old 10-20-09, 12:01 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Thanks for the feedback! I don't think a "regular" name is what I'm after, but I agree that Erasmus may be a bit too much.
I do think I prefer 'Sander' to 'Xander;' to me the 's' sound makes it sound a little more home-grown or earthy, which I like.
I do like the girl middle names for first names... I'll have to ponder some more. Thanks all!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools