Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Pregnancy Message Boards > Baby Names >
Too 'out there?'

Too 'out there?'

Reply Post New Topic

• hoodie 10-18-09 | 10:01 PM
  • My hubby and I both love the name Erasmus for a boy, but is it too strange? We do want something that stands out a bit. Our last name is quite plain, 2-syllables and ends in -y. We would choose a short, simple mn. Another option would be Sander (Alexander is a family name.) For a girl we love Evan Susanna, Evan Amelia, or Evan Olivia. What do you think? Thanks!
  • BnBMommy BnBMommy's Avatar 10-18-09 | 10:20 PM
  • If I did Sander, I would be more tempted to spell is Xander... Your girls names are cute, but I like the middle names you have chosen and would likely use on of those for a first and then Evan in the middle..
  • 3Princes 10-18-09 | 10:46 PM
  • I'm a teacher so I'm partial to "regular" names, and I do not like Erasmus at all. I like Xander better than Sander, although I think Xander is pronounced "Zander" and "Sander" is with an S.

I think Evan is a boy's name and most people will think your baby is a boy if you go with it for a girl.

If it were me... I would choose one of your middle names for a first name and save "Erasmus" "Sander" and "Evan" for middle names.

But in the end, this is YOUR baby and like I always say--- name him or her what YOU love. This is why we don't tell people the names we have chosen till after the baby's born. I have 2 friends, one who named her kid Dewey (actually met her on here), and the other who named her kid Korbin. I didn't like either of the names at first (but never said so of course) but after the kids were born and I got to see them and learn their personalities, they both totally grew into the names and I can't imagine them being named anything else. Good luck and welcome to tbc.
  • keptpet 10-19-09 | 01:19 AM
  • [QUOTE=QTeach333;2971056]I'm a teacher so I'm partial to "regular" names, and I do not like Erasmus at all. I like Xander better than Sander, although I think Xander is pronounced "Zander" and "Sander" is with an S.

I totally agree, Erasmus is a lot of name for a little baby, and not to mention he has to go to schoool at some point. Xander in any for is a nice name. Evan Xander is a cute unisex name also.

I made up a name of my own from about 9-12 yr old because I didnt like my given name.
  • hoodie 10-20-09 | 11:01 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback! I don't think a "regular" name is what I'm after, but I agree that Erasmus may be a bit too much.
    I do think I prefer 'Sander' to 'Xander;' to me the 's' sound makes it sound a little more home-grown or earthy, which I like.
    I do like the girl middle names for first names... I'll have to ponder some more. Thanks all!