Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Pregnancy Message Boards > Baby Names Uncommon names for my lil man.

Uncommon names for my lil man.

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 07-10-10, 08:23 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Uncommon names for my lil man.

I am currently 7 months pregnant with a lil boy. My boyfriend and I are very set on giving him an uncommon name, not just the usual run of the mill names. I am having a difficult time deciding which I like best.. it is very hard to choose especially as his due date comes closer. Ultimately I know the choice is ours, but others feedback definitely helps and is appreciated.

Here are some names we are considering (not definitive middle names, but this gives you an idea):

Murciello Khaiyton
Indrid Emmairek
Bjorn Odan
Gideionn Asner
Tobias Ingrahm
Indrid Mor'dekkhiy
Aurellius Ingrahm
Ezryn Aisel
Deikkon Asner
Erebus Odan
Makkarios Emmairek
Akkacius Khaiyton
Odan Ambrose
Mor'dekkhiy Auzrik
Mor'dekkhiy Indrid
Aemiliano Gemariah
Ambrose Odan
Ephraim Asner

Or any other suggestions I can take into consideration. Thank you! I'm sure a lot of people won't like these because most are fairly unheard of, but keep an open mind. They're not totally off the wall.

Old 07-10-10, 11:39 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

I tend to be very traditional with names, and prefer traditional spellings too, but I like some of yours. I would suggest that if you're choosing an unusual name you at least choose the most traditional spelling of the name.

My favorites of your suggestions are Ephraim, Tobias and Gideon (spelled traditionally). None of those is common, but they are names folks will have heard before. If you choose something a little less "out there" for the first name, you can get really crazy with a middle name.

I know there are a few ladies here who have been cursed with difficult to spell names or names people mess up all the time. Keep in mind your son will be spelling and pronouncing his name for the rest of his life.

Dh and I wanted something Slovak for our sons, and even with relatively simple choices (Marek, the Slovak version of Mark, which is pronounced "Mahr-dek, and Lukas, spelled with a "k"), we are constantly correcting spellings and explaining the name Marek to people.

Old 07-11-10, 01:49 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to TBC!

I agree that while choosing an unusual name NOW seems like a cool idea, the struggles your precious son will face later might not be worth it.

Gideon and Tobias are my favorites on your list. I do also like Ephraim. What about Malachi? Or Zellen? Beckett? Easton? Declan? Ryker? Nash? Dallin? Brogan?

Old 07-11-10, 06:08 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

Ooh, I like Malachi and Declan too.

Old 07-11-10, 09:35 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Malachai was one of my original choices at the beginning of my pregnancy, but I see it being used too much now .. it's on the rise of becoming a more common name. That's why I liked Mordekkhiy, because it's a similar sounding name to Malachai.

Truthfully, I'm not too fond of traditional names or spellings. I'm not trying to be so totally different than everybody, I just think that names are a HUGE part of identity, one that will shape and form him his entire life.

My boyfriend has a very common name (and is a junior) and he absolutely hated it. That's exactly what we don't want our son to go through. I think it's just as bad having a super crazy name as having a name that 50 other people in the school have.

I understand that he might need to spell his name to people sometimes, but I have a fairly common girl's name (Andrea) and I constantly have people ask me to spell it or call me Audrey or Adrian. I think unless your name is Jim Bob or Josh, you're probably going to end up having to spell it anyway.

At any rate, I don't think the name selections are anything that wild. Either way, I come from a small town where if your name isn't Jon Bob Billy or Jim, you're probably going to get looked at weird anyway.

Thanks for the input!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools