Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding 1/3 of Moms Don't breastfeed for as long as they say they will

1/3 of Moms Don't breastfeed for as long as they say they will

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 06-05-12, 02:22 PM
is blessed
Mom of Two

Thanked 36 Times
Level: 6
Weekly Activity 2430%
Default 1/3 of Moms Don't breastfeed for as long as they say they will

Quote:
MOST MOTHERS PLAN TO EXCLUSIVELY BREAST-FEED FOR AT LEAST THREE MONTHS, BUT ONLY ONE-THIRD DO

The World Health Organization and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend that mothers breast-feed exclusively (only breast milk and medications or micronutrient supplements, but no other liquids or solids) for about the first 6 months of their infant’s life. Studies have shown that most mothers in the U.S. do not exclusively breast-feed their infants for six months, but little was known about how long mothers had planned to breast-feed. In a new study, “Baby-Friendly Hospital Practices and Meeting Exclusive Breastfeeding Intention,” in the July 2012 Pediatrics (published online June 4), researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention surveyed pregnant women about their intentions for exclusive breast-feeding and then followed up with monthly surveys over the next year. The study authors found 85 percent of mothers who planned to exclusively breast-feed intended to do so for three months or longer. However, only 32.4 percent of mothers exclusively breast-fed for as long as they intended. Mothers who were married and who already had a previous baby were more likely to breast-feed as long as they had planned. Other factors that improved the chances a mother would meet her goals included beginning breast-feeding within an hour of birth and not being given supplemental formula feedings or pacifiers in the hospital. Mothers who were obese, smoked or had a longer intended breast-feeding duration were less likely to meet their intention. Study authors conclude that increasing Baby-Friendly Hospital practices, particularly giving only breast milk in the hospital, may help more mothers breast-feed for as long as they intend.
Any thoughts? how long did you breastfeed for?

Old 06-05-12, 04:40 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6147.86%

It's a shame that more women aren't spported to exclusively breastfeed for longer. Despite some incredible hurdles with our second and third children, I feel good about the length of time I was able to stick with it.

Child #1: 13 months
Child #2: 18 months
Child #3: 24 months
Thank you Dopey406!
Tracey and Neil (06-06-12)

Old 06-06-12, 03:26 AM
is loving being a Mum to a miracle
British Community Leaders

Thanked 283 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 15.71%

I never intended to breastfeed. I bought a very expensive pump and was going to exclusively pump. However, DD latched on during skin-to-skin time and, despite lots of challenges, the rest is history!

I think hospital practices, antenatal care and laws about formula marketing need to change before the results of these kinds of studies will. There are far too many of 'Booby Traps' to breastfeeding.

Old 06-06-12, 07:14 AM
is is needing a day off!
Admin Team

Thanked 179 Times
Level: 8
Weekly Activity 3540.71%

I breastfed Adrianna for a year. I wasn't really sure going in how long it would last, but once I gave birth I knew it was the right choice for us.

Old 06-06-12, 08:30 AM
is blessed
Mom of Two

Thanked 36 Times
Level: 6
Weekly Activity 2430%

I agree.. there is not enough support for those wanting to breastfeed.
I breastfed with no set plan for how long.

#1 Child: 18 months
#2 child: 9 months - not my choice, she didn't want to anymore
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools