Baby Corner

Old 06-26-05, 11:38 PM
Summer

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Angry 2 hrs of sleep... HELP

Last night Alyssa felt the need not to sleep. She was up literally all night. I tried gas medicine and everything. She kept acting like she was hungry and I would get her "hooked up" and she wouldn't wanna eat. Come 5am I thought I was gonna lose it. I wanted to cry cuz I didn't know what was going on. I finally woke up dh and had him take her. I seriously think because she could smell me/milk that she thought she was hungry. She was quiet when dh was holding her. I finally gave her a pacifier (last resort) and she was quiet and asleep. Go figure it took me that long to figure it out. I have nothing against using a pacifier but I really don't wanna use one if I don't have to. She's been taking LOOOOONG naps today. I started waking her up every 2.5 hrs to eat. Any suggestions if it happens again? If it happens again tonight I will lose my marbles and dh has to go back to work tomorrow so I won't have the help. Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

Old 06-27-05, 12:39 AM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I would stick with the pacifier if it helped.
I'm not opposed to them.. they work magic for some babies! (like my 2)

I do recall many a night when I had to sleep in the recliner in our living room with the baby on my chest because that was the only way they --- or I --- would get any sleep.
It seems to be a really short phase, though.
Just a few nights of the not wanting to sleep but forcing them to sleep anyway (however you get them to do that) and they catch the clue.
Just watch the clock. If it hasn't been enough time between feedings, you know that it's not the milk they're after... but just confused.

I also hear that around 2 weeks, they all of a sudden get their nights and days mixed up. And it takes a little bit of convincing of which is which.

tomorrow is a new day..

Old 06-27-05, 01:43 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Interestingly enough the VERY SAME thing happened at around this time period with my dd and I was in tears. My baby would NOT sleep and at 6am I finally threw in the towel and handed her to dh who was trying to get ready for work. I just couldn't do it anymore! I think the 2 week growth spurt has a LOT to do with it. Their little bodies are gearing up for intense growth and their metabolism and everything is just going full speed, making them sleepless. It probably won't happen again this bad, and try to nurse her as often as she "asks" despite how tired I know you are. She's helping to build her milk supply right now and it's important that you don't supplement, and feed her as often as possible. This short period won't last, I promise. The first few weeks are the hardest and then it will even out. Hang in there!

Old 06-28-05, 11:34 AM
Mom to 3 (7,5,3)

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I think I would use the pacifier if it helped too. She may just want to suck, not eat.

Hope she starts sleeping better for you.

Old 06-30-05, 03:57 PM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Weekly Activity 30%

IA- use the pacifier if it helps. I have one that I resort to from time to time too. I also had a night like you just described. It only happened once so I'm hoping you'll be as lucky as I was!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools