Baby Corner

Old 03-27-05, 11:53 AM
OMG I have 4 kids! :)

Thanked 12 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question Advice? Suggestions?

Ava is now 14 months, and she absolutely LOVES to nurse! I really enjoy nursing first thing in the morning and in the evening when we're winding down, but have some frustration with her desire to nurse so frequently during the day. She nurses frequently anyway, but now often also tries to use nursing to gain my attention. She has always been very intense and still wants my constant attention at all times.

If I am trying to do something else, she cries and cries to nurse and can not be easily distracted or redirected. When we are home, she nurses at least once an hour, and wants to more than that if I'm working on other things. When we are out and about, she is more distracted and won't want to nearly as much, maybe every couple hours, hardly ever longer than that though.

So, I would really love to continue nursing, both because I still very much enjoy nursing and because I know that it is very important to her and that she is very comforted by it, but at the same time, I would really like to find a way to help her nurse much less frequently during the day. Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences to share on that matter?

Also, my husband and I are going to go away for a weekend in about a month. We'll be gone from Friday morning to Sunday night, but she'll be asleep by the time we get home that Sunday night, so for her it will be 3 whole days. I think it is going to be very hard for her not being with me especially because of nursing. She desperately wants to nurse when she wakes up in the morning and from naps. Any suggestions or advice on how to help her with this? Would it be kinder and gentler to try to just wean before we go, or just have her go "cold turkey" while we're gone? I don't want to make it any harder on her than it will be anyway for us to be gone.

Old 03-27-05, 02:00 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

i really don't have any advice for you but just wanted to say i am in the exact same boat as you. i could have written that post (minus the weekend away...) about me and lucy. she is almost 17 months and LOVES nursing and does it alot throughout the day. i definately want to continue but i wish she would cut me a break during the day (only does when we are out). she also is a pretty picky/light eater and i wonder if that is from nursing so often.

i can't wait to hear some "experienced" moms advice. and good luck to you!

Old 03-27-05, 02:09 PM
Proudly South African mom

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

No advice either, sorry. Shaelyn is 6 months old and also loves nursing and nurses often. I am going back to work next week and I am dreading how she is going to react to being forced to drink EBM from a bottle!
BTW, I love the pics of your daughter in your siggy!

Old 03-27-05, 02:13 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Mia is exactly the same way at 20 months - she adores nursing first thing in the morning and right before bed. During the day she would nurse about every hour or two if I let her, but I'm really trying to wean her. What I have been doing is offering her a cup when she asks for her "nummy nummies" and then she will hopefully start associating quenching her thirst with cup instead of me. Problem is (like you said) most of the time it's when she wants attention or wants to be comforted that she wants to nurse during the day.

As for your weekend away - you will be miserable and in pain if you don't bring a pump or something! It would be really hard on Ava to go cold turkey - IMO upsetting to her emotionally.

Could I suggest what may not seem very romantic - take her with you? This way she isn't upset by this and you won't be ready to blow and in pain!

Old 03-28-05, 08:40 PM
Mom to 3 (7,5,3)

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

That is a tough one. If you are ready to wean her, than go for it, but you sound as if you aren't.

IA about taking a pump with you, especially if you are still planning on nursing her.

Have you had any time away from her yet? I understand that nursing is important, but so is having alone time with your partner.

You could take her with you if you find that is your only option. Good Luck.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools