Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding allergic to cow's milk? (RE: weaning and cow's milk)

allergic to cow's milk? (RE: weaning and cow's milk)

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-05-04, 01:55 PM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Unhappy allergic to cow's milk? (RE: weaning and cow's milk)

For the past several weeks Joey has been having really hard- almost like play doh- poopies when she goes. I consulted the ped nurse a couple of weeks ago and she suggested trying dark karo syrup and if that didn't work trying infant's glycerin suppositories. Well, as far as we could tell, neither really did much good. As for the karo I might not have been giving her enough of it because I wasn't giving it in every single bottle, but I wasn't really thrilled with the idea of giving it to her at all because isn't it just like sugar?

Anyhow, my mum found a solution idea in a natural remedies book she has, and we've been trying it (oatmeal water). We're still trying the oatmeal water and I'm going to try to get some prunes into Joey today to help relieve her hard poopies. However, when I was researching baby/toddler constipation online this morning, one of the things mentioned as being a possible cause is the child being allergic to cow's milk. Now the nurse at the peds office didn't mention this when I spoke with her a couple of weeks ago, but she did say it was normal for a baby to go through a constipation like phase when being weaned from breastmilk to cow's milk. When we started weaning Joey she was still getting more ebm than cow's milk and seemed just fine. However, the more we weaned and the less ebm but more cow's milk she received the more her poopies changed for the worse. Do you suppose this is just a side effect of transitioning from ebm to vit d as suggested by the ped nurse? If so, do you have any ideas as to how long her system will take to adjust?!

I can't really see her constipation being allergy related because I would think that would be somewhat hereditary, wouldn't you? And no one, to my knowledge, is or has been allergic to cow's milk on either side of our families (dh's or mine). Plus other cow's milk derivatives, like cheese or ice cream, never bothered Joey.

Anyhow, we go for Jo's 12mo check-up on Friday, so if nothing else we can consult with the ped again at that time. I really hope this isn't an allergic response to the milk, and I really hope and pray she gets back to having normal soft poopies asap.

Last edited by the_littleminx; 09-05-04 at 01:59 PM.

Old 09-05-04, 05:34 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

It doesnt sound like an allergy (and even if it were an allergy, it still isn't an 'allergy' but would rather be classified as a 'sensitivity' which according to Drs, is VERY different)

The poopies do change. She might need to simply be drinking more water. If she's still going on a 'schedule' she's not constipated. Even with harder poop.

Rather than the glycerin suppositories (which btw work great), if you're really worried you can give her mineral oil. one teaspoon per 10 lbs is what they say to use. Get the unflavored stuff (it's tasteless) and put it in some applesauce. A week ago, I finally gave some to my DD for her potty training issues. She's been holding in her poop cuz she doesn't want to go on the potty and Dr Greene's website suggested doing this for 2 weeks. Works like a charm. If she's constipated, it'll work in about 8 hours later. If she's not constipated, it'll work in an hour or less.

Old 09-05-04, 05:36 PM
Banned

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0%

YES! it could be the milk!!! When we first started Sam on milk. He didn't poop FOREVER. He now can only drink soy milk. He isn't allergic, we had him tested, but he just can't tolerate it. He can eat any other dairy product, just not any type of milk. The soy is a little more expensive but it actually is better for them and has more calcium too. You should try that and see if it helps. Good luck!

Old 09-06-04, 01:27 PM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Thanks for the advice ladies. We're going to keep trying what we've been trying and if nothing else will talk to the ped again about it at Jo's check-up on Friday. I really don't think she's "allergic" or "sensative" to the milk, but I'm no doctor so could be wrong. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying that it's just constipation from her system trying to get used to the change from all ebm to some to very little.

Old 09-06-04, 04:30 PM
North Carolina

Thanked 8 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

It sounds like you have gotten good advice.

Latest Articles
Delight Your Special Mom-to-be With These Top 10 Gifts
Dads, if you have run out of ideas to get that special mom-to-be in your life for the holidays, we've got you covered. Here are 10 gifts ideas that will delight her this holiday season.

2014 Holiday Gift Ideas For Babies
If you have run out ideas for what to get your baby for the holidays this year, here are a few suggestions for you.

14 Gross Pregnancy Secrets
If this is your first pregnancy, be prepared, as these unwanted pregnancy symptoms may crop up unexpectedly.

Planning for a Second Pregnancy: What To Expect
When considering your second pregnancy, there are a few things to consider such as child spacing, and health concerns. Use this guide to help you plan for a healthy second pregnancy.

The Controversy over the Most Popular Boy's Name in the U.K.
A few days ago, the news media made the world was aware that the most popular boy's baby name in the U.K. was not Muhammed.

November 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Little Pumpkin" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations urugby!

Calculators & Tools