Baby Corner

Old 10-11-08, 11:16 PM
Amanda,Krystal,Ambers Mom

Thanked 73 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Am having problems

I am unfortunately not able to get Amber to latch on so I have been pumping all of a sudden today I have noticed a huge decrease in production of milk in my right breast and my left one is starting to decrease as well. I am really worried I pump really frequently and am wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the production of milk especially in my right breast if anyone has any advice I would be very grateful for some help.

Old 10-11-08, 11:32 PM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

I've heard eating oatmeal can really help milk production. Other than that, I'm not sure!

Old 10-12-08, 12:08 AM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

oatmeal and lots and lots of water will help but also letting her nurse will help the most. I would keep trying with getting her to latch as much as you can and if it's still not working call a local La Leche League Leader or a professional lactation consultant
or another professional that might be able to help because a pump will not get the milk going as well as the babies suckle will.

I once read that one of the most powerful ways to stimulate increased milk production is to "take your baby to bed and nurse." This relaxes both you and your baby and stimulates longer and more frequent nursings. It also increases your milk-producing hormones.

also going into a quiet and relaxing place with just you and the baby while pumping might help relax you and help with getting more milk with the pump. it helps to be near the baby while pumping just stroke and calm the baby using a lot of skin-to-skin contact - a practice called grooming. Enjoy her little face and the feel of her skin. This will help your milk ejection reflex.

hope it gets better soon let us know how it goes!

Last edited by imagine; 10-12-08 at 12:25 AM.

Old 10-14-08, 01:15 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

I had a friend whose baby was born 6 weeks early, so she pumped as well. I think she said she started out pumping the typical every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes each breast. Then she increased it to 20 minutes each breast and it tricked her body into making more. She pumped for a whole year and never actually nursed her dd, and she said she eventually got it down to only pumping 4 times a day and could fill up a 8oz bottle, each side!

Not sure if something like that would work for you, as we are all different. I myself can sometimes get 5oz outta the left and 3oz from the right, but only if it's been awhile since I last nursed or pumped. Me and Kendall had issues in the beginning, but I used a nipple shield so she was actually nursing and just kept trying without it everytime until I was able to take the shield away completely. And ever since my milk came in, my right side has been the less productive side, even when I pump. Don't forget that the baby is more efficient than the pump.....nursing also triggers a hormone that tells your body to make milk....at least that what my book says.

Keep on trying! It will get easier!

Last edited by MrsS1stbaby; 10-14-08 at 01:18 PM.

Old 10-16-08, 11:35 AM
Amanda,Krystal,Ambers Mom

Thanked 73 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Thanks everyone I really want to be able to nurse her. Where can i get the nipple shields? One of the biggest problems with us nursing is that my nipples collapse when i try to get her onto them. I am also concerned about how big breasted I am I probably wont nurse at night because I dont want to fall asleep and suffocate her I have very very large breasts but would love to at least nurse during the day and DH and i could share the night duty with a bottle of pumped milk. I found out that day that i had not drank enough water I upped my fluid intake and things are going much better now.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools