Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding >
Back to work tomorrow! bf issue

Back to work tomorrow! bf issue

Reply Post New Topic

• jillrn jillrn's Avatar 10-10-04 | 01:37 PM
  • I cant believe my maternity leave is over!!!!!! I am so sad I love being a SAHM! I will be working 3 -12 hour shifts per week at this point. But my milk supply is already in the crapper d/t my hormone imbalance so I am not sure how long that is going to hold out. I have resigned myself that I will pump what I can get while at work and home and I will cont to nurse for comfort and bonding and supplement the rest. I did try her on a little formula this morning she really hated the taste-- she made the weirdest face.

she doesnt seem to eat as much as other babies-- It seems about 2 oz is her max about every 3 hours or so. She is gaining but slowly-- I think she is 10 lbs finally yesterday when I weighed her. SHe was 7 lbs at birth and went down to 6lb 8 oz I think?!? I have about 100 frozen bottles in the freezer. (I pumped like a mad lady while my supply was good) Do you all think that I could thaw a 4 oz bottle in the fridge take 2 oz out and mix it with one oz formula. I am wondering how long after bm is thawed it is good for in the fridge -- if I havent heated it?? I know once you heat it --you must use it within a few hours. It sure would make my bm last a lot longer if I could mix it some. What is the best way to handle this? jill
  • donann donann's Avatar 10-11-04 | 12:52 AM
  • Breastmilk is good for 24 hours in the fridge after it is thawed so I don't see a problem with making a couple "mixed" bottles from the 4 oz breast milk bottles. I am sorry that you are having such a hard time with your supply and that you have to go back to work already. I cannot imagine doing it again like that (I was not eligible for mat leave with my oldest and was back at work when he was a month old, I have a full year this time).

Take care

Donann
  • montanachic montanachic's Avatar 10-11-04 | 02:30 PM

•  
    I'm sorry you have to go back to work.

Donann had good information. You could mix it if you want to extend the bm a little longer too. Keep pumping and try to keep your supply up,