Baby Corner

Old 02-17-08, 03:49 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 172.86%
Default bf questions

hey! Avery Claire is going on four days old... today she is really fussy, and wants to nurse every hour or so... is this normal? she only wants to nurse for 5-10 mins total... she sleeps, wakes up an hour later wantin' more bf'n, but only for a few minutes again... she has been passing gas a lot, since birth, could this part of the problem?

thanks!

Old 02-17-08, 03:55 PM
OMG! I have 3 kids!

Thanked 444 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 8.57%

i know they will be able to help you here brandi.

i really think it sounds normal..thats exactly what Lola did...and she is still a big gas bomb.

Old 02-17-08, 04:21 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

That is what my little one (baby chazz) did. The doctor said it was normal, but you do need to try to get her to eat longer. The doctor said that for the first 5-10 minutes of feeding the baby is just getting the foremilk. Which is just a watery substance that is quenching the babies thirst. But, the baby needs the Hind-milk that comes next.
The Hind milk is the fatty stuff that keeps the baby full and asleep longer, and helps the baby gain adequate weight.
When the baby starts going to sleep my doctor said to try to keep him awake if he doesn't feed long enough.
I used to have change his diaper (even if he didn't need). If that didn't work I'd take all of his clothes off. If he's (or her for lola) is too comfortable she will fall asleep. I would also play with him sometimes to entertain him and then finish feeding him. After a few days he got back on a good feeding schedule.
Well, good luck. Hope I helped.

Old 02-17-08, 05:31 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

it is actually probably not that she's really looking to nurse every hour, but that the nursing helps with the painful feeling of the gas.

Try burping a little more often. Many times, mom's make the mistake of not waking their baby back up when they fall asleep at the breast to burp them. That baby still needs to be burped. Trust me, the baby will fall back asleep very easily once you're done burping.

Also, around day 4, the milk really comes in full force and the baby oftentimes struggles to keep up with the flow of milk. What happens is the baby starts gulping and sucking in too much air.
So if you "prime" your breasts before letting them latch on, you'll reduce the flow and they'll struggle less trying to keep up. All you have to do is hand express into a cloth diaper or burp rag to 'take the edge off' the flow. THEN, attach the baby.

Old 02-17-08, 05:44 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 172.86%

i will definatly try that... she just nursed for 20 mins and then i had to mess with her to get her back awake and she nursed 10 mins on the other side and is asleep now... we'll see how long she sleeps for.... thank you all so much... i'm always willing to try any advice you ladies will offer up!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools