Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding Breastfeeding with a baby in a Pavlik harness...

Breastfeeding with a baby in a Pavlik harness...

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-04-09, 06:58 AM
is loving being a Mum to a miracle
British Community Leaders

Thanked 283 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 14.67%
Default Breastfeeding with a baby in a Pavlik harness...

Kara is 8 weeks on Saturday and despite an earlier tongue-tie (which was 'un-tied' when she was 11 days old) we had nursing down to a fine art.

But her diagnosis of DDH last week and having to wear a Pavlik harness until christmas is causing her (and therefore me) some problems as she can't seem to get comfy, and fusses a lot. Has anyone got any advice? Neither of us get on with the rugby/football hold.

Old 09-04-09, 12:57 PM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

I have no experience with hip dysplasia, but the only thing I can think of is nursing her in a reclining chair if you have one. Maybe she can lay on your chest and get comfy that way if you are mostly reclined?

Old 09-04-09, 02:58 PM
is wondering around the boards again!!
Mommy of 3

Thanked 316 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

Does the harness keep her straight? I am not familar with it. but what about laying down and her laying next to you? I know this can be a pain to do every time she eats. as for the foot ball hold I nursed DD#1 and DS and I could never get it down... Then DD#2 had an IV in her head & I had to learn and it was one of her favorite once i figured it out. get a lot of pillows and sit on a open space surround your self in the pillows up to the height of where Kara would lay and be able to latch on then lay her beside you on the pillows. did that make sence??

I hope the time she has to wear the harness goes by quickly.

Old 09-04-09, 09:15 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

Aww... I was wondering about that! I don't know what to do but I would say it will just take some getting use to and then you'll both be pros by December and it could possibly take some adjusting again because she will be use to the harness.lol
If it's the cradle hold she likes maybe you can just lay back a bit and turn her belly towards yours so that your belly to belly! it will be awkward for a while but kids and young babies adjust to new things very quickly! I watch a little girl who had to have full leg casts on both her legs to straighten them and after a week she was all over the place she learned to crawl with them on and even pull herself up on the furniture! lol
You might be able to Google more about the harness and maybe find others who have nursed with it on that might have some advice!
I hope it all works out and you both adjust soon!

Old 09-04-09, 09:24 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

Here is a thread I found on LLL's site

and this is a book called The Parents' Guide to Hip Dysplasia.

This link should get you to the online book so you can read the book online! I think it's like page 41 that talks about nursing but there is lots of other info that might be helpful!

Last edited by imagine; 09-04-09 at 09:39 PM.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools