Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding Breastfeeding & Cocktails

Breastfeeding & Cocktails

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 10-07-09, 09:33 PM
Lovin My Family!

Thanked 124 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 10.91%
Question Breastfeeding & Cocktails

My best friend is coming into town to visit, and she wants to take me out for cocktails, basically a girls night out since we NEVER see each other. I am pumping breast milk for my son and I was wondering if I drank some cocktails with her one night, how long will that stay in my system and go to my milk? I know that obviously my milk would be be no good for him, but for how long? Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-07-09, 09:53 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 7824.55%

How many drinks are you talking about? If it's just one or two, you'd be fine. If it's more than that, I'd probably pump and dump a couple of feedings.

I hope you have a good time!! That sounds like a blast!!

Thank you Dopey406!
LMB2007 (10-08-09)

Old 10-07-09, 11:11 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.82%

I read that it's about 2 hours as long as your not getting smashed that is!! lol when ds was little I had a glass or two on wine every once in a while and I would wait at least 2 hours. Most the time you can tell when it's out of your system because the buzz/tipsy feeling will go away, so if it has been 2 hours and your still feeling drunk or buzzed I would wait to breastfeed a bit longer until that feeling goes away.
Thank you imagine!
LMB2007 (10-08-09)

Old 10-08-09, 12:57 AM
Lovin My Family!

Thanked 124 Times
Weekly Activity 10.91%

I'm not sure how many cocktails that I will have. Its one of those things that will just depend on how I feel I guess, and how long we are out. Should I pump and dump for like a day or a half of a day? I know I would definitely not want to give him anything from when I'm feeling any drinks or anything like that, (I don't plan on being drunk or buzzed and taking care of him anyway). I just don't want to take a chance of giving him anything contaminated, so I'm trying to figure out the timeframe of when it will be "safe" to give him breast milk again. Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-09, 12:05 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 6138.18%

They sell strips at BabiesRUs that test for alcohol. I used them often! When K was 8 weeks old I had my 1st outing & had a few beers. I went home, pumped, & tested. (dd was already sleeping thru the night, but if I had had to feed her soon after or even a few hours after, I probably would have given her formula to be on the safe side) If the milk tests postive, I dumped. If it tested negative, I kept it. Some alcohol affected my milk differently along w/other factors as it does when are not worried about BF, ykwim?

And I don't know about your household, but it wasn't just the milk I was worried about. If I drank too much & stayed out too late, I would want to sleep in & probably wouldn't feel 100% the next day and dd was still on her regular schedule, waking up at 7am or some god-awful hour! So, I usually opt for only a couple drinks anyways, unless Dh promises to get up her with.....which does not happen often, lol.
Thank you MrsS1stbaby!
LMB2007 (10-08-09)

Latest Articles
How to Afford a Baby in the U.S. Today
It's true that raising a baby through the college years is expensive, especially today. However, with savvy financial skills, any couple can afford a baby today. Learn how!

Celebrity Baby News: August 2014
August 2014 was hopping with new celebrity births and pregnancy announcements from celebrities like Christina Aguilera, Kelsey Grammer, Christian Bale, and Christina Ricci. Get the details here!

Bexco Recalls 1,100 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs
Bexco's Franklin & Ben Mason style 4-in-1 style cribs due to fall and entrapment hazards. Get information about how to order a repair kit to keep your baby safe.

Should Pregnant Women Eat More Tuna?
Consumer reports disagrees with the US Food and Drug Administration about the amount of safe tuna fish consumption in pregnant women?

How to Be a Great Hands On Parent to Your Toddler
It's important for parents to be an active influence in their toddler's life. Learn how to be an award winning hands on parent.

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations bexiboo85!

Calculators & Tools