Baby Corner

Old 02-25-09, 05:11 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 4822.86%
Default Confused!!

I wasn't sure what board to post this on. I've even searched thru the forums, and did find some helpful things except the part on how old the babies were when the post was written!

My issue: totally lost & confused about introducing baby food/meals, etc to Kendall. She is 7.5 months old and we have been feeding her a veggie at night, sometimes before I nurse her, sometimes after. Lately it has been more before & I will nurse right before bed. My mom watches her during the day and I knew she was feeding her cereal and fruit after her morning bottle, but now feeds her the mixture before the bottle. I also recently found out that my mom is also feeding her baby food (cereal, fruit, veggie) after or before just about every bottle. She has a total of 4 bottles usually at my moms. I haven't gone thru every veggie or fruit out there b/c I am still feeding her Stage 1 foods. I am also mainly feeding her homemade foods, except for the ones that I couldn't find the actual fruit or veggie. I give her 2 cubes at night and 1 cube in the AM w/cereal.

I think I am getting confused b/c I read about babies that are 8 months eating 3 meals a day, having snacks, drinking juice, and also being nursed. And friends telling me they nursed for 13 months.....guess I didn't figure food into that!

On the weekend, I pretty much only nurse. I do try to feed her breakfast now as well after nursing & do the veggie at night. So my schedule and my mom's are completly different. My mom says Kendall acts like she is still hungry, so that is why she is feeding her food w/each bottle. But on the weekends w/me, she is fine with just nursing. And then I read somewhere that she can start using a sippy cup now?? Sippy cup? She's my little baby still and I I can't believe she would want a sippy cup. Sometimes I feel like allowing her to have a sippy cup or table food (at 8 months per some stuff I read) would be making her grow up faster than she already is. Why make it go faster??

There is just too much information and different opinions out there. I guess I had always thought if I was breast feeding, she didn't need to do much else. And if I start putting her on an actual feeding schedule w/3 meals a day & such, does that mean I should stop pumping at work? I do have a few friends that only nurse in AM & PM, and the baby gets formula & baby food during the day while she is at work. Oh, boy...if you got this far, BLESS YOU! I am spinning here!

Last edited by MrsS1stbaby; 02-25-09 at 05:19 PM.

Old 02-25-09, 06:54 PM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

When my dd was 7 months old she down to nursing 4x per day. She also had 2-3 meals a day.
nurse upon waking
then cereal and fruit
nurse around 10
fruit around 12
nurse around 2
veggie and cereal around 5
nurse before bed

If anyone else had to watch her, they could sub in bottles for the nursings. Not sure if that helps!

Old 02-26-09, 09:25 AM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 4822.86%

Actually it does! Q: when she had these meals, did she also have any other liquid such water or juice? When did you start introducing meat?

I thought long & hard about this last night and decided I will start trying to get her on an actual feeding schedule. I think my issue is that I am still thinking of her as my little baby.

Old 02-26-09, 04:32 PM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

I'm having a much harder time with Athemia than with my other 2... Douglas was up to 3 meals a day with nursing in between by the time he was 6-7 months and he'd have a cup with a 50/50 juice/water mixture with meals... Sienna was two meals a day (I don't think we ever did 3 meals) with nursing in between and the same juice/water mix in a sippy at meals. She had a harder time catching on to the cup than her brother, but had it down pat by the time she was about 9 months (I used a bottle with a sippy-like nipple to try and teach her.)

Now Athemia just turned 6 months. I am lucky to get cereal in her once a day, let alone a veggie or fruit (I mix her cereal with juice and water though, so she does technically get SOME fruit) BUT she nurses fairly often yet. She also wakes up at least once a night now to nurse. I have not TRIED a cup and I kinda feel bad about it all! Some way, some how I need to get this girly on a schedule liek the other two were!

Old 02-27-09, 12:39 AM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

my ds started solids at 6 months but it was just a tablespoon of rice cereal a day if that and then I started stage one and he just did not care to eat much. at 12 months he still had days that he only wanted to nurse all day and it's no big deal because breast milk has more nutrient then any other food out there. and so for the fist year and sometimes a little longer it is ok to not have a schedule time or even a certain amount of solids because for that first year solids should really be considered as an addition to, but not a supplement for breast milk or formula. I got all the this information and lots more from the Doctor Sears website. He is a very well know pediatrician along with some of his other family members and he has great advice for everything. Here is a link with his advice for when and how to start solids. It has great tips for when, what, and how to start solids.

Thank you imagine!
MrsS1stbaby (02-27-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools