Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding Consulted Lactation Nurse... soreness & possible bleeding

Consulted Lactation Nurse... soreness & possible bleeding

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 07-22-05, 11:40 AM
Summer

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.03%
Unhappy Consulted Lactation Nurse... soreness & possible bleeding

Last night I was wincing the minute Alyssa latched on but didn't think anything of it. I know stupid move. I went and pumped because I was full and Alyssa was still sleeping. I noticed after I was done that my nipple was burning and looked like it was bleeding. Thankfully, I had some breastmilk pumped and in the freezer. I don't have a lot but had enough to get me through the night. I called the lactation nurse and I'm waiting for her to give me a call back. I can pump because I can change the speed and suction but it still hurts afterwards. I put lanioln on it to see that would help at all and I didn't sleep with a bra on. I don't think it's mastitis but I've never had it before and from what I've been reading it doesn't match it. I donno. I hope she calls back soon. I'm afraid I'm gonna run outta EBM and then I donno what I'll do. Yes, I worry too much lol.

Oh and on another note. When Alyssa ate last night (her first bottle) she ate like a champ and slept for 7 hrs.

Now it makes me wonder if I'm not giving her enough when she nurses. She nurses till she falls asleep and spits it out. I guess I just worry too much. I'm gonna ask the nurse when she calls.

I apologize for the annoyance of all my nursing posts. I didn't have anything like this when I was nursing Breona. The only thing I battled w/ her was thrush.

Old 07-22-05, 11:47 AM
emily & ava's mommy

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.03%

well, i know that maybe if alyssa has been nursing very often and yer nipples are not used to it, that that could cause irritation. i know that my nipples were sore fer a while when i started nursing emily, and just healed eventually on their own. i hope that that is all yer problem is and that it goes away soon, becuz it is painful, i know!!!

Old 07-22-05, 11:50 AM
Banned

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0%

IT could be one of two things.. .from the sound of it.

A. Thrush. Ash when I had thrush, they were sore red, and just plain hurt. Then the shooting pains started, then the obvious thrush symptoms.

B. Bad Latch. Since you have been nursing for a month though and the sudden onset of problems I don't think it is this.

Hopefully the nurse will ahve some better advice.

Old 07-22-05, 12:10 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.03%

From what I understand, even if you had an infection (or thrush) you still need to nurse.

If it's an infection, nursing actually draws out the infection and it doesn't hurt the baby.

If it's thrush, chances are, the baby has it too so you both need to be taking the thrush combatants at the same time.

When I nursed DD, she had a terrible latch and I winced/withdrew my body, because it hurt so so so bad when ever she'd latch on. Man it hurt!
It never drew blood, but it might as well have.
Eventually, she got a better latch and my nipples toughened up, so that went away.
But I do recall crying as she would latch on (once latched, it didn't really hurt).

Keep nursing.
Her sleeping might have been a coincidence with the bottle.

Old 07-22-05, 12:26 PM
Computer Geek & Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.03%

It could certainly be a bad/lazy latch. I thought we had it all sorted and then DD got lazy and I got cracked and bleeding nipples.

Latest Articles
28 Baby Products That Save Time & Make Your Life Easier
After baby arrives, your time will be precious. Here are some of our favorite time savings baby products that are must haves for any Mom. Includes Editor's picks, and favorites from Moms and Dads to help make your life easier.

Babies Understand More Language Than We Think
A new study from the University of Washington shows that babies learn language much sooner than we thought. Learn why it's important to read and talk to your baby early, and often.

Star Pregnancy and Birth Announcements Summer 2014
See the pregnancy and birth announcements for summer of 2014 including Kristen Bell, Jimmy Kimmel, Eva Mendes and more!

Am I Pregnant or is this PMS?
Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're pregnant, or if your period is just coming late this month. Use this guide to help you tell the difference.

The EEOC Updates the Pregnancy Discrimination Act
US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has revised it's guidelines protecting working pregnant women, and those who wish to become pregnant even more than before.

May 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations farul!

Calculators & Tools