Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding Couple of questions about the laying down to sleep instead of nursing

Couple of questions about the laying down to sleep instead of nursing

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-08-04, 01:27 PM
Banned

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0%
Post Couple of questions about the laying down to sleep instead of nursing

Ok well as I stated in my other post I have nursed Logan to sleep since day 1...And I am wanting to get him so he will fall asleep on his own. How do I do that exactly? Cause sometimes at night he is so tired and I nurse him but he is still awake...when I lay him in his crib to let him fall asleep, he starts screaming bloody murder. I don't want to let him cry himself to sleep....are there any other ways to get him to do it by himself?

Old 09-08-04, 01:46 PM
is living life..
VIP Member

Thanked 263 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

The way I started getting him to fall asleep on his own was at naptime. I'd let him lay in his pack n play and then he'd just fall asleep. With Aedan last night he had plated enough after nursing that in the middle of Goodnight Moon he was rubbing eyes and yawning. I gave him his woobie to rub on his face while we finished reading and DH took him up. He was asleep within 5 minutes.

Do you ever let Logan play in his crib?? Does he like it in there?? I've let Aedan hang out and I'll turn on his aquarium to get him to fall asleep . Every once in a while he'll holler and yell (laughing/playing) for a while but then it falls silent as he falls asleep. Try it with naps etc. then move onto bigger things.

Old 09-08-04, 01:57 PM
Mommy of Three!!

Thanked 8 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Ok, if you are against CIO you might try reading the "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantlely. She has great suggestions if you are against CIO. I tried it for a little bit with DD but she was killing me so I finally did let her CIO. If you are patient (which I'm not) then I think the no cry sleep solution could really help you a lot!

Old 09-08-04, 02:03 PM
is living life..
VIP Member

Thanked 263 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

We have been using some of the suggestions from the book also.

Old 09-08-04, 02:57 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

What I did -- and it did take at least a week -- 10 days for DS -- was to
get him close to sleep, keep the warm blankets that were around him around him.
Lay him on his side with a wedge to keep him that way... and then I would stand there over his cradle or crib for what seemed like and eternity with my hand just resting on his back/bottom. Sometimes he needed it pat to keep him from fussing -- but then I could just 'rest' the hand.

After a while, I could take my hand off -- sometimes I'd get tired of standing there and would put a heavy blanket where my hand would be and that would be ok. Later on, I'd go back and 'move' the blanket and then I'd take it out of the crib alltogether.

Other things that worked perfectly fine was just having a bedtime classical lullaby CD playing soft music in the room. I swear, we couldn't go anywhere without that CD for Sarah... (and today, Andrew is insisting on his music to go to bed)

The other thing that's sort of like CIO only not so bad, is to lay them in the crib, and then let them cry but do everything you can save picking them back up to stop them from crying. Pat them, rub them, sing to them... etc... If you stop and they start crying... do it all over again.

I promise. It only takes a week. 10 days for the most stubbornest of kids... I promise!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools