Baby Corner

Old 10-14-08, 10:37 AM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Question Distracted

Preston is super interested in what's happening around him when he's nursing. He's constantly pulling off and looking around - even in the middle of a let down which is disgusting since milk drips all over the place. He does that constantly sometimes. Other times he bounces his body back and forth and make all sorts of noises while he's nursing. He's also really into hitting me in the face. UGH! It's really frustrating for me. I just want him to latch, eat and be done with it. I try to keep the room quiet and keep the distractions down, but our nursing sessions are always like that these days. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 10-14-08, 12:21 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 4822.86%

Not yet, but K is only 3 months old. Although lately when I put her on the right side, she does like to flap her right arm around and often hits me in the chin. I think she is realizing how to move her arm/hand on her own now and not just the involuntary movements. It's so exciting yet annoying at the same time!

Old 10-14-08, 12:56 PM
OMG I have 4 kids! :)

Thanked 12 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I'm with ya on this issue too Jen. My girls are getting really bad with the distraction too. It makes me crazy!

Geesh, looks like Preston and my girls seem to all have the same non-sleeping, super-teething, distracted-nursing personalities.

Last edited by emg92702; 10-14-08 at 12:58 PM.

Old 10-28-08, 02:05 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Lincoln does this too somtimes and he is 14 months now. I just take him off and try and waite a bit longer so that he is only intresed in nursing by the time I let him nurse. but somtimes he cries until I let him nurse so I just hold his hand and try not to talk or laugh at him so will focus less on me and more on eating.

Old 10-28-08, 03:45 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

that's TOTALLY normal unfortunately.

Sometimes, a 'nursing necklace' does the trick and their free hand can fondle the necklace. I used to have to hold my DD's hand because she would pinch and claw me otherwise...

Just keep sticking with the distractionless room. If he pops off and wants to look and play around. Then take him off and just set him on the floor. He'll realize eventually that eating time is business and he can't play and goof around because the bar will be closed if he does.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools