Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding >
Does anyone here know about hyperthyroidism??

Does anyone here know about hyperthyroidism??

Reply Post New Topic

• 22Tango 22Tango's Avatar 08-30-04 | 01:22 PM
  • I've just been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) and need to go see an endocrinologist for treatment & monitoring (since it could be bad for my pregnancy). But one a couple websites, I saw that it could also jeapordize my breastfeeding relationship with my baby-to-be!!

Does anyone here have experience managing thyroid problems while breastfeeding??? After having such a successful and wonderful breastfeeding experince with my first (who is almost, but not quite yet weaned), I hate the idea of not being able to have the same bond with my second!

• :domesticgoddess: :domesticgoddess:'s Avatar 08-30-04 | 01:23 PM
  • I don't have any experience or knowledge, but wanted to wish you the best. I hope someone here can help.

• montanachic montanachic's Avatar 08-30-04 | 01:36 PM
  • I was diagnosed with it after I had my first son, but I didn't need treatment since I also had a goiter sp? weird situation. I nursed while I had it, not sure about it during pregnancy but sometimes its brought on by hormone changes.

sorry I am not much help.
  • Phalene Phalene's Avatar 08-30-04 | 02:23 PM
  • I have hypothyroidism-the opposite of you. My body doesn't make enough, and/or can't use what it does make.

All I have to do is take a synthetic thyroid hormone everyday. I've been nursing continually for 3 years now, so having a thyroid disease doesn't mean you can't sucessfully nurse. I'd just be very dilligent and test your thyroid levels often to make sure that you are within 'normal' levels. (Most literature says normal TSH is between 0.5 and 5.5, but there is new evidence that between 1.0 and 2.0 for women is a better range) You'll soon figure out what is normal for you. I feel best when my TSH is around .5-.75 so my doctor and I keep it there.

Good luck, and let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Vicki Lynn
  • 22Tango 22Tango's Avatar 08-30-04 | 03:21 PM
  • Thanks!

I guess I'll have to see what the endo says when I go in 2 weeks.

I was just blubbering on the phone with my DH about the possibility that BFing may not be an option, and he made my laugh by saying, "Well, we'll just get a wet nurse!!! Or I'll have to do my part and start hormone therapy so I can produce breast milk!!

"

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work