Baby Corner

Old 05-19-05, 12:16 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question Don't know what to do now...

I've been trying to wean Mia for about 6 months now (she's now 22 months old!) so I can take some much needed Enbrel. She's been drinking from a cup since she was 7 months old, so I offer it OFTEN and try to distract her from daytime nursing. She insists on nursing first thing in the morning and at night before bed. Anytime she gets hurt, or is sleepy or cranky, same thing. I didn't mind it - I practice Attachment Parenting and didn't want her to use pacifiers, etc. so I have done this myself. I just wonder how at 22 months now I might start encouraging more weaning.

I REALLY need to get her weaned but I just can't seem to make anymore headway on this. I have never had a child nurse this much this late. My 5th son nursed until he was 2, but it was a little snack at bedtime - not this wanting to nurse all day long. I have never had to deal with this and I'm just lost. Any suggestions??

Old 05-19-05, 03:02 PM
OMG I have 4 kids! :)

Thanked 12 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

The only thing that allowed me to be able to wean Ava gently was that she got the stomach flu right about the time I was thinking about having her at least cut back. She couldn't even keep breastmilk down for almost a week (although I pumped little bits for her to sip so she got that instead of pedialyte and it helped with the engorgement). I just continued after that. I don't know how I would have done it without that stomach bug!

After the stomach flu was gone, when she did ask to nurse (which was often with MUCH intensity), I would offer her her vanilla soy milk that she loves or a snack that she really likes to help distract her. Often, just standing up and picking her up helped too, because then I wasn't in the nursing position.

Good luck Tracy! I know you've really been hoping for her to wean for such a long time now. You've done such a great thing for her.

It has been almost a month and a half since I weaned Ava and I still really miss it.

Old 05-19-05, 03:55 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

Wow! What a great job you've done! And Mia is healthier, happier, and more secure for it. But it really is getting to be time to take care of you...and you SO deserve it.

I would go along the lines of Erin's suggestions: offering alternative comfort measures, a different "snack", or milk from a cup. Picking her up when she wants to nurse (if you're able) sounds like a great way to continue to encourage that closeness, but maintain a separation from nursing.

Ugh. This is not easy. Please keep us posted about how it's going!

Old 05-20-05, 03:50 PM
Proudly South African mom

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Tristan self-weaned so I have no personal experience with this but I have 2 friends who had to wean their toddlers. One told her daughter that her boobs were very sore (and she even stuck plasters over her nipples) so her daughter felt very sorry for her and didn't nurse, then whenever she asked to nurse my friend would hold her boobs and say that they hurt too much! She felt bad about lying but it did work. I'm not 100% sure how my other friend weaned her daughter, but she was quite a bit older than Mia. Elisabeth posted here how she weaned her 23 month old DD by putting lemon juice on her nipples. I hope that you find something that works for you.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Wasim!

Calculators & Tools