Baby Corner

Old 11-02-08, 10:31 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Engorged

my 15 month old is sick and wont nurse at all! he nursed for a few seconds once today and other then that nothing so Im now in pain and he is crying to nurse but as soon as I try he pushes away and cried even more. this has been going on all day and all last night to.
I have not pumped since he was about 6 months old so when I tried to tonight it hurt real bad and I only got about half an oz and was still in pain afterwards

so I have a few questions.
will I dry up if he donít nurse tomorrow or tonight either?
and what's the best way to ease the pain if this happens?

Last edited by imagine; 11-02-08 at 10:34 PM.

Old 11-02-08, 10:58 PM
Conor and Spencers' Momma

Thanked 21 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Cabbage leaves are heaven! Just put them inside your bra and replace once they wilt. If you are still going to nurse after he gets better, I just wouldn't put too many on there because you don't want to dry yourself up.

It will hurt when you pump, if you are very engorged. It will get better as more of the milk is released and the pressure goes down.

Feel better you and your little man!
Thank you eek042900!
imagine (11-04-08)

Old 11-03-08, 12:18 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

I remember when I first came home from the hospital and tried to pump my engored breasts, I didn't get much. It's easier to get something out when they are little squishy or softer. I took Tyelonol and let the hot water from the shower massage some of the pain away. I've heard that cabbage leaves work great, but was told in BF class not to use more than 3 times b/c you don't want to dry yourself up. I copied a link to the Le Leche League website article about engorgement. I would try getting the shower and manually expressing/massage and then try pumping right after.

I hope you lil one feels better! Maybe he doesn't want to nurse b/c his nose is stuffy? Try some saline drops if you haven't already.
Thank you MrsS1stbaby!
imagine (11-04-08)

Old 11-04-08, 09:48 AM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

thanks! I was finally able to pump just enough to relive some of the pain. And after over 24 hours of him not nursing he walked in a saw me pumping and all of a sudden wanted to nurse again. he is still sick and wont nurse at all during the night but during the day he is nursing at least a few times! I donít mind if he weans but I just hope he does it slowly and will not do it cold turkey like that because the pain and engorgement was real bad. I was not able to sleep or eat and I could not hold him to comfort him because it hurt to bad for anything to touch me. Iím glad itís over and he is starting to get better.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools