Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding Extended Nursing & Cow's Milk

Extended Nursing & Cow's Milk

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-09-04, 08:35 PM
Mommy to Marshall

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Question Extended Nursing & Cow's Milk

The post on weaning reminded me that I have had this question for a while now. For those of you who have nursed or are nursing past 1 year, did you or do you plan to introduce cow's milk along with nursing? If so, is it because you plan to gradually cut down on nursing and head towards weaning or is there another reason to do it? Should a nursing toddler be exposed to cow's milk in addition to nursing, or is it just as okay to continue nursing and not introduce it 'til later? And when later? I plan to let Marshall self-wean, but I guess since he's getting close to that age where it is common to introduce cow's milk, I was just wondering. TIA.

Old 09-10-04, 03:33 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I started adding cow's milk after the 1 year point with my first few children. They were so highly lactose intolerant and had such horrific acidic diarrhea that I never did that again. I b/f until they self-wean and then try it slowly with things like yogurt juice, etc.

Old 09-10-04, 10:57 AM
Computer Geek & Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I'm planning on keeping Audrey away from cow's milk for as long as possible. It's not natural for humans to be drinking it anyway and with her ezcema and the allergies and asthma on DH's side of the family I want to keep the major allergens out of her diet and only try them carfully when she's a few years old.

Old 09-10-04, 11:32 AM
Banned

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0%

I introduced cow's milk at 1 year. Since I'm working, that way I didn't have to pump or use formula after the first year. Both boys loved it. I would have continued to pump, but with a hand pump (not electric) it was pretty exhausting. I also gave it at meals, since by 1 year they were pretty much on finger foods (I couldn't feed them if I wanted too.. they were both too stubborn!) and that way they had something to drink then too... I gradually introduced it though, like 1 glass a day, to check for allergies, especially since Aiden had horrible gas with normal formula.

Old 09-10-04, 01:42 PM
CL & Perpetual Pollyanna

Thanked 24 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Since both of my children have/had a dairy allergy I never introduced cow's milk. Once my son was older I eventually started giving him fortified soy milk which he is still drinking at 3 years old. At this point he can handle some dairy, about 1 serving a day which is usually cheese or yogurt since he handles them better. To make sure he gets enough calcium (really the only reason to drink milk) I make sure that his orange juice is fortified as well as his soy milk (they have at least as much, if not more calcium and vitamin D as milk)

At 11 months, my daughter cannot tolerate any dairy products, including whey and casein. I anticipate that that will continue to improve until she is like my son, who at this point I would call extremely lactose intolerant.

Vicki Lynn
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools