or stories of experience

............krista Oh, it's only a 2 hr flight, and then
another hour flight after a layover

Old 01-25-05, 01:41 PM
tired mommy of 2

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

I have only flown with a newborn so i am sorry but I don't have any advice regarding her pulling off at that time. If she will take a bottle, it couldn't hurt to have a bottle of water handy.

The one advice that I was given was that you should put her to your breast during take off and then again (if you can) when you are landing. It helps them cuz their sucking stops their ears from popping.

hth and hope that someone can help you more than me

Donann

Old 01-25-05, 04:17 PM
Mom to 3 (7,5,3)

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Well, I have traveled with a nursing baby, but she never pulled off mid letdown.

I guess you could have one of those cloth diapers/burp cloth right there, so if she did you could catch the spray??

Other than that I am not sure. IA about having the bottle for her to play with.

Old 01-25-05, 04:48 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

When we flew with Carolyn, she wasnt even interested in eating. She was 13 weeks, but she did nurse every 2 hours. Good luck and I hope that you find an easy solution! Enjoy your trip!

Old 01-25-05, 06:05 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

it is best to nurse on take off or on the descent to help keep the ears clear. But on such a short flight, it'll probably be hard to time it just right.
a pacifier does the same thing for the ears....

What I did to help minimize the dripping etc was have a cloth diaper and I would wedge it under my breast and over the rest of my lower belly. That would keep the dripping off my clothes, then I would have another one in my free hand to 'damper' the breast if they popped off. Since you're nursing in tight quarters, it's probably best if you have a cloak to go over your shoulder and the baby's head. That way, you can do all that under cover and without flashing the whole row.

Practice nuring undercover before you fly though, because if the baby isn't used to that, they can really object about being covered up.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools