Baby Corner

Old 08-26-09, 02:21 AM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I began pumping right away because Hope was in the NICU and had not problems creating a good milk supply within a couple of days. I had her at 8:59 am and started pumping around 5pm that same day- so I say start pumping as soon as you can after your c-section. I would've started sooner, but couldn't get the darn nurses to bring me the pump! The rule of thumb for pumping is to pump until you don't have any more milk left (or no more "stream" of milk) and then pump another 2-3-5 minutes after that to signal your body to make more milk. I read alot of that advice that people gave Tracey as well as talked with the L/C at the hospital. We also have a family friend that is an LC and she was great help as well. Also, there is an "exclusively pumping" board over at ivilliage. I hope it's okay that I said that since TBC doesn't have a board like that. I am still new to this, but have learned alot so feel free to PM me with other questions. Glad I will have another friend on here who is pumping!
Thank you Mark'sbabygirl!
LMB2007 (08-28-09)

Old 08-28-09, 02:16 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I think the general rule is to start as soon as possible. just like you would if nursing. if you want to let her nurse and pump for the fist few weeks it will help build up your supply faster but if your just going to pump it might take a little longer just because breasts dont respond as well to pumps as they do to the baby nursing. But they will respond just keep at it and you may need to pump every 2 hours for 15-20 min on each side in the beginning! it seems like a lot but the more you pump/baby nurse the faster your milk supply will come in. And dont let the amount you pump be an indicator to how much milk you make because pumps aren't as efficient as a baby at getting the milk out and it's normal to not be able to get much milk out with pumping.

Also talk to you LC at the hospital. there should be one on call when you have the baby. And depending on the hospital and the state you live in they may not let you use your own pump. I don't know why but at the hospital I was in told me I could not use my own medications, blood sugar meter or anything else. It was just some hospital policy. so any medications I was on they ordered through the pharmacy and they used there own blood sugar testing equipment. I did not pump but I had mine with me and they said I would have to use the hospitals pump too. you can ask before hand just to be sure. It might just be the state and hospital I was at.

good luck! a good resource is LLL they have a website that you can go to to find a group in your area! here is the link

Thank you imagine!
LMB2007 (08-28-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools