Baby Corner

Old 06-20-05, 07:26 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.54%
Question How do you do it?

Ok, so being a new mom and having a c-section has taken more out of me than I expected it to. How do you get your rest and do everything else you need/want to do? Everyone keeps telling me it will get easier and I'm determined to stick it out at least 6 weeks. Sometimes at those early AM feedings though I'm tempted to give her some formula so I can get more than 2 hours of sleep at a time. I know breastmilk is what's best for her and that's why I decided to do it and wish it was easier. I didn't expect to be tied to an electric pump (but then again no one told me it was going to be easy). I don't mean to sound selfish about sleep I really do want to breast feed her and be successful at it. Guess it's just new mom nerves and wanting to do right by her (we tried a very long time for our baby). Plus it might be postpartum blues talking too.
Also, she seems to prefer the left breast to the right. Does anyone else's baby do that? We've had the visiting nurse stop by twice last week (she's also a lactation consultant) and I'm thinking of asking her to come out again to check on us. Thanks for reading!

Old 06-20-05, 08:07 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.54%

formula won't usually help with the feedings. I mean, every 2 -3 hours is pretty standard as a newborn. Even on Formula. And, the problems with formula are just offsetting any extra sleep you may get. The poop problems usually associated with formula and the stinky spit up that stains etc... it's not worth the little bit of extra sleep you may get (and you probably won't actually get more sleep)

It really does get easier really quickly. Just don't do anything except feed the baby and sleep when she sleeps. No dishes, no fixing dinners, no doing laundry, no nothing. Make DH pick up the slack... and sleep.
Being a new mom is being a zombie. That's just what it is. Having the C-section is difficult, but I've had both, C-sect and the vag birth (with a 3rd degree tear) and they both are difficult to recover from. One you can't sit down with, one you can't get up with... Just move slowly and only when you have to move. Resist the urge to hunch over to ease the pain of the incision. It helps when you 'stretch' it out and have it heal 'stretched'.

And, ... remember to drink lots and lots of water. If you aren't already, you probably should be taking some iron pills as well (and probably some stool softeners to go along with that) The iron pills will help you feel less tired.

Old 06-21-05, 11:59 AM
Banned

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0%

It does get easier. That is one thing that you just have to have hope on.

The first 6 weeks are the toughest! I've had two tough births and one easy birth and I know the difference. The eat-sleep-poop. That is what they do all day.

Try to take some naps, and let some things go. Don't try to get all the laundry done, or the dishes. They can wait. Get more sleep now, durring the day. Then your lack of sleep at night will be counterbalanced.

Old 06-21-05, 12:05 PM
is living life..
VIP Member

Thanked 263 Times
Weekly Activity 1.54%

Take all the help that is offered. Don't try to do everything on your own in spite of how independent you once were. It will get much easier I guarantee it. I also had a c-section. But my problem was that my incision split open the day I arrived home.

So my Mom came up during the day to help out with the household stuff so I could concentrate on baby.

Formula won't change the # of feedings right now.. babies like to eat alot for the 1st few weeks. Sleep whenever you can. You can clean when she graduates HS.

Old 06-21-05, 02:13 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.54%

Accept all offers for help and sleep any chance you get. Your house can wait. Dust balls never killed anyone! These first few weeks are the most important for getting your nursing relationship on a roll and nothing else is more important. This time period doesn't last long and it's really important to take care of YOU and baby right now!

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools