Baby Corner

Old 06-30-09, 06:11 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I had a c-section and it was probably less than an hour afterwords that I was alone with the baby and could have nursed if I wanted to.
The fact of the matter was, DD was NOT ready to nurse for quite some time afterwords. I tried but she was more interested in sleeping.
When she was ready, she nursed and she did just fine.

I wouldn't worry about how soon after birth a baby gets to nurse. I think nursing the second the cord is cut is HIGHLY overrated.
Think about it. A baby isn't "hungry" right after birth. Anything a baby does after birth is only instinct and reflexive. Its not out of need.

heck, a mom doesn't even have milk yet so it's not 'filling' up a baby's tummy

that collostrum is important, but it'll get used when the baby AND you are ready.

Old 06-30-09, 10:10 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

It depends on the hospital but some will bring the baby to you in recovery as soon as your in there. Just let them know not to give the baby any bottles babies don't need to eat as soon as they are born anyways so if you don't get to see the baby right away it's ok for her to go with out for a few hours. they might want to give her formula if her blood sugar is down but if it's not real low you can just tell them to wait until your able to nurse. And have your husband go with the baby and he can make sure they dont give any formula.

sometimes it takes a bit longer for your milk to come in with a c-section and they will tell you she needs the formula but the more you let her nurse the faster the milk will come in so I would try to avoid supplementing.

congrats and good luck you can always find help and advice here and if you need a local group you can go to

and find a local LLL group that will have tons of help and resources in your area.

Last edited by imagine; 07-01-09 at 10:42 AM.

Old 07-01-09, 01:06 AM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 87.14%

I had 3 sections and all my babies were brought to me once I was in the recovery room and asked for them. None of them had any trouble with nursing, and DD #2, baby #3, was the most eager to nurse. She was actually rooting around on the blankets that they wrapped her in after she came out. Dh said she was rooting around the whole time they were cleaning her up. I know at the hospital I deliver all of the nurses on the maternity floor are also lactation consultants, and they are very pro bfing, so they were more than able and eager to help us get the baby nursing asap and aid in any latch issues.

Old 07-01-09, 05:50 PM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I know that with my best friend's first- she didn't get to see her baby or nurse for 3 hours and she still didn't have any problems. With her second- she had the baby much more quickly (she was at a different hospital). At the hospital where I am delivering they will bring the baby as soon as they can in recovery after a c-section so they can nurse as soon as possible. You can find out your hospital's policy when you go to the class (if that's where your class is?). If not, you should find out. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as you don't have total control over the situation. I do agree though that you should let the hospital staff know NOT to give the baby a bottle. I would also recommend the book I am reading "So that's what their for" it is AWESOME and, although I haven't breastfed yet, I am trying ot be as prepared as possible!

Old 07-02-09, 11:49 AM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1008.57%

I had 2 c/sections and had no nursing problems. With Rachel I probalby got her within 1 hr and it was in my room. With Leanna it took a long time to get me into recovery due to a bleeding problem and then I was there at least a few hours before they brought her to me. They were waiting for a room to become available and I ended up having them bring her to me in recovery. She had no problem getting started either.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools