Baby Corner

Old 03-15-05, 09:42 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default I gave her formula

I can't believe I did it.

She took it like it was coming right from me.

I have been having many issues with her spitting up and having too many stools. She is still spitting up 4 hours after I nursed her. It could just be my diet, and I tried to eliminate dairy from my diet but was lost without my it so I think I might be doing her best if I just switch her to formula.

I can't make up my mind and I mentioned it to the doctor who said to try soy formula on her since that is what ds Colton ended up on. She told me just to start her out with one feeding a day for awhile to get her use to it. I don't know if I can do it or not, I love to bf her and don't know how I would feel without it.

I have a few issues myself too. I am on effexor xr for my post partum and it is excreted in breastmilk. I have been taking it for awhile and it has made me a totally different person. Thank god!! BUT, I feel bad for it going in my milk into Chloe. I have not had a sex drive at all since Chloe was born and the doctor said that bf might be the cause of that.

So maybe things might be better for Chloe and me if I switched her to formula, but I am afraid I will get depressed all over agian. I don't know what do you ladies think??? TIA, for listening to me whine!

Old 03-15-05, 09:47 PM
Mommy of a toddler

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I would want to switch to formula too if you are taking some medication. I hated switching to formula with Alea after 5 1/2 months, but I had no other choice. Since I went back to work, my milk supply was drying up quickly. But she took to it very well and we had not problems. If she is still spitting up after drinking the formula, I would try her on the soy and see if it makes a difference. Good luck!

Old 03-15-05, 10:47 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

If I were on the medication, that would be enough for me to switch to a bottle. but I did that anyway as soon as I went back to work.
I didn't try pumping while working. It was simply too stressful for me to even attempt.

Now, as for the spitting up, has the Dr given you advice to try starting some cereal now to help keep things down? Andrew had reflux and rather than medication for that, I had to start giving him cereal in bottles (at first they were bottles of my milk) At first, because he was so young (like 6 weeks old) it did alot of binding in the poop area... so then I had to start the prune juice to get him going there (and oh man was the throw up ugly then!

) But once I got the combination/amount down for best results, it really did help with the upchucking.
Just a little cereal helped thicken things up enough to keep things down enough.

So, you could try talking to the ped about that option...

Old 03-16-05, 09:40 AM
is loving my new job!
Kaitlyn & Nicole's Mommy

Thanked 415 Times
Level: 5
Weekly Activity 19220%

I feel your pain. When I stop b/f all together, I felt so sad. I would love having that closeness again, but not producing enough wasnt worth it for me.

Old 03-16-05, 11:29 AM
SAHM mom of two.

Thanked 50 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

OK. I am going to come in here with a different opinion than those expressed.

I don't think the medication you are taking is an issue. The doctors would not have given it to you if it were bad for your baby. Although in a perfect world you would take nothing that is expressed in your milk, we don't live in a perfect world. Your baby is better off with a mother who is not depressed.

I think the depression will be worse for you if you stop BFing. From someone who has been there done that, stopping when you aren't completely emotionally ready can bring on some strong depression.

As for the sex drive, the BFing is only partially responsible for the lowered sex drive. The drug can also do that, as can sleepless nights, caring for a newborn, always having someone touching you (as newborns need to do whether BFing or not) etc. etc.

If you do decide to switch to formula, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. You can BF and formula feed for a while. Your milk supply will go down, but you can do both.

And lastly, if you decide to switch, know that you are doing the best that you can for your baby. You did BF her for a while and got her off to a good start. Formula isn't evil. Sometimes it is best for both of you.

Good luck.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools