Baby Corner

Old 01-12-07, 11:44 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 25.31%
Default if you had a c-section

Just wondering, for those of you who had a c/s, how long after your procedure were you allowed to breastfeed? Were you able to do it? Was it painful because of your incision or difficult because of any meds they gave you?
Also, what type of hold did you use? Josh and I exclusively used the "football" hold.
Thanks... I just wanted to get some info, just in case.

Old 01-12-07, 11:49 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I was allowed to BF as soon as I got into the recovery room - but I was in no mood to do that. They took the baby to the nursery to finish getting her cleaned up and other stuff like that while I got settled in the recovery room. I was on the sulfer drug for Preeclampsia and it really made me out of it. I could hardly stay awake for the guests who were coming to visit. (and probably didn't). The incision didn't inhibit my nursing at all. All I needed to do was put a pillow on my lap and lay the baby on the pillow and then things were just fine. As it turned out, a pillow helped anyway becuase it brought the baby's mouth to the right height of my nipple

The only painful part of BFing was the poor latch and the horrid nipples I had as a result.

Old 01-15-07, 09:54 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Jeanne, we used the football hold for a long time. I was brought back to my room after they cleaned me up and they gave Rhiannon right to me. The section didn't have anything to do with us having trouble breastfeeding - well, wait, I take that back. I was so pumped full of fluids that my nipples weren't popping out like they needed to be. But other than that with the first it's a learning experience for both you and baby. I brought the Boppy to the hospital and had lots of other pillows around us. Check to see if your hospital has a lactation consultant on staff. At my hospital a lot of the nurses were. Good luck!

Old 01-15-07, 10:00 AM
is living life..
VIP Member

Thanked 263 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I BF both babies in the recovery room. No problems with my incision relative to nursing. I usually had a pillow in my lap to help prop baby up and take some pressure of my abdomen.

With Aedan I used the football hold almost exclusively. With Chloe the regular old across the belly hold.

Old 01-15-07, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I have always heard that, to use a pillow, which most nursing moms do anyway. I can't imagine the incision, but the football hold makes sense the way I am picturing it in my head!
You'll get it gal!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools