Baby Corner

Old 02-25-05, 08:03 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.37%
Talking I'm new here

Hi everyone. My name is Niki I'm from the due in May board and due the 18th. I'm 32 and I have a 6 yr old son that I tried to breastfeed and couldn't, the hosp then told me my nipples were flat or inverted and gave me shells but since my son wouldn't latch on right it just made me get engorged horribly and with much pain and many tears I gave up trying and he ended up on soy formula. Plus my son got jaundice because they wouldn't feed him at all for nipple confusion and the meconium never got out of his system and he was in a photolight for about 2 weeks. I really would like to try again and this Dr. said there is nothing erong with my nipples. I have a fear of the same thing happening this time plus, my 6 yr old thinks he can watch me feed the baby too and he wants to feed him too. I'm not sure if I'm secure enough to make this work and can you pump at first for him and Daddy to help? Plus, I have areally screwed up sense of appropriatness from my childhood and mother and grandmother and am nervous about a baby boy touching my breasts, I wonder if that had anything to do with my trouble last time. Anyway thanks for listening and any help would be great.

Old 02-25-05, 08:38 PM
Charlotte's mommy

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.37%

Hi Niki.

to TBC. i'm nursing at the laptop so please forgive my puctuation. i'm glad you're going to give BFing another try. i suggest seeing a LC (lactation consultant) before you give birth. a lc will be better eqipped to help you than a dr. Make an appt for after you give birth too. the first 3-4 weeks are going to be the hardest. it should get easier from there. Also you could go to a LLL meeting they should be able to help you too. talk to a leader before you give birth and express your concerns.

good luck to you and congrats on your upcoming birth.

Old 02-27-05, 01:40 PM
Proudly South African mom

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0.37%

Seeing a qualified LC before the birth would probably help you to sort out any issues in your own mind, before tackling the actual nursing problems that you may have. It has been my experience that nursing a second time around is generally easier, so maybe it will be easier for you too. But please don't hesitate to come here and ask questions or just for support if you feel you are getting stuck. Have a great birth!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Wasim!

Calculators & Tools