Baby Corner

Old 10-01-06, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.91%
Question Latching on ?

Hi everyone! For the most part BFing is going well but we're struggling with some latching on issues. I am engorged and because of that she has great difficulty latching on and gets frustrated and just pushes me away or fusses around. She will latch on for a moment and then when the milk doesn't let down quick enough for her she gets frustrated and pops off. We can struggle for about an hour to feed. Her pedi suggested that I pump a little before I nurse, so I have been doing that and that was working a little. But now it seems like the milk doesn't let down fast enough and she gets impatient and furstrated. Any suggestions?

Old 10-01-06, 12:38 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 55.45%

It can be kind of a catch 22, your milk lets down easier/faster if you are relaxed, but how can you relax when you are anxious about your milk letting down? If you haven't already try shutting yourself in a quiet room, hopefully with a rocking chair or in your bed, you might want a noise machine to block out distractors. I know if I am listening to my DD in the other room I have a hard time concentrating on nursing. Also you might want to try a warm wash cloth on your nipples right before nursing it will help make them more supple, easier to latch on to. Make sure you are as comfy as possible when you sit down to nurse. Keep up the good work remember it isn't easy in the begining but we are here to support.

Old 10-01-06, 12:56 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 28.18%

I was going to suggest stimulating your nipples a little bit to get a letdown before putting her on to nurse.
Also, you could put her on a little sooner-- as in when he's not quite as hungry. Maybe she'll be a little more patient with your milk then!

Good luck, and come back here in a couple months when I'm needing help in nursing with a 2 year old running around.

Old 10-01-06, 04:29 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

Thank you- those are great suggestions! It' s funny because my DH and son just stepped out for a bit and the tv is off and Avey was hungry, so I tried to have her latch on without pumping and she did all on her own with no problem. The quiet must be working. And I am going to try the warm wash cloth too at the next feeding and not pump. Thanks ladies!

Old 10-01-06, 04:35 PM
is wondering around the boards again!!
Mommy of 3

Thanked 316 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

the other suggestion are great, something you may want to do for you son is to make him a "mommy's nursing basket" with quite toys and a specoal coloring book and some crayons, that he can only use when mommy is nursing to keep him ocupied while Avey eats. Keep up the good work!!

Latest Articles
Boost Your Fertility With Diet
Boosting your chances of conceiving can be as simple as making a few changes in your nutrition and diet, starting today.

Humor in Pregnancy and Parenthood a Necessity!
There sure are stressful times during pregnancy, and in being a parent, but humor in pregnancy and parenthood is a must have if you're going to survive!

Baby Development: When Will Baby Be Rolling Over
Find out when to expect your baby to roll over, how to know he's ready, and how to keep your baby safe when the rolling begins.

When Becoming Parents Kills Your Coupledom
It's a common problem after baby arrives to forget about the most important part of your family: Your Marriage. Find out why marriages seem to fall apart after baby, and how to get back to being the couple you once were.

How to Afford a Baby in the U.S. Today
It's true that raising a baby through the college years is expensive, especially today. However, with savvy financial skills, any couple can afford a baby today. Learn how!

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations bexiboo85!

Calculators & Tools