Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Mixed feeding

Reply Post New Topic

• HelenWendy HelenWendy's Avatar 09-30-04 | 03:34 PM
  • I really want Thomas to get used to a bottle, and perhaps give him one a day, I had terrible trouble getting Oliver to take a bottle, and it was very hard to leave him with someone else coz I knew they would have probs feeding him, with Christmas coming up, dh and I are having a Christmas party out, and also I am taking Oliver to see a show in the new year, so I will be without Thomas at these times.
    I am pumping some milk but not much, and Thomas hasn't really got a routine as such yet, so it is hard to find a time when I can pump a fresh bottle to give him straight away (if you get that), however it is beginning to come together now, and I am thinking of giving him a bottle soon.
    So, what I am trying to get at is, does anyone give their baby a formula bottle aswell as breast feeding, coz I think that's what I might have to do, and is there a chance he will prefer formula milk to mine? Silly question I know, and I would much prefer to breast feed him, but I really do want him to get used to a bottle.
    Shall I persevere with pumping a fresh b/milk bottle at some time, or just give him formula once a day?
    TIA
    Love Helen
  • pheebe pheebe's Avatar 09-30-04 | 03:53 PM
  • From what I've heard formula is FOUL and he's very unlikely to prefer it to the real thing

I wouldn't give up on the pumping, try early in the morning, or even at night. I found I could get a reasonable (but small in the beginning) amount from one breast at 3am after DD had fed off the other one and gone back to sleep. Sometimes I had to do that because I was so uncomfortable! To begin with you won't get much, but stick at it, and I would suggest getting someone else to try him with the bottle to save him getting agrivated because he wants the fresh stuff.