Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Mixed feeding

Reply Post New Topic

• HelenWendy HelenWendy's Avatar 09-30-04 | 03:34 PM
  • I really want Thomas to get used to a bottle, and perhaps give him one a day, I had terrible trouble getting Oliver to take a bottle, and it was very hard to leave him with someone else coz I knew they would have probs feeding him, with Christmas coming up, dh and I are having a Christmas party out, and also I am taking Oliver to see a show in the new year, so I will be without Thomas at these times.
    I am pumping some milk but not much, and Thomas hasn't really got a routine as such yet, so it is hard to find a time when I can pump a fresh bottle to give him straight away (if you get that), however it is beginning to come together now, and I am thinking of giving him a bottle soon.
    So, what I am trying to get at is, does anyone give their baby a formula bottle aswell as breast feeding, coz I think that's what I might have to do, and is there a chance he will prefer formula milk to mine? Silly question I know, and I would much prefer to breast feed him, but I really do want him to get used to a bottle.
    Shall I persevere with pumping a fresh b/milk bottle at some time, or just give him formula once a day?
    TIA
    Love Helen
  • pheebe pheebe's Avatar 09-30-04 | 03:53 PM
  • From what I've heard formula is FOUL and he's very unlikely to prefer it to the real thing

I wouldn't give up on the pumping, try early in the morning, or even at night. I found I could get a reasonable (but small in the beginning) amount from one breast at 3am after DD had fed off the other one and gone back to sleep. Sometimes I had to do that because I was so uncomfortable! To begin with you won't get much, but stick at it, and I would suggest getting someone else to try him with the bottle to save him getting agrivated because he wants the fresh stuff.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work