Baby Corner

Old 03-19-09, 11:05 PM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 8%
Default My cup runneth over...

Athemia's BFing is SO erratic (sp?) lately, it's just nuts! One night she'll wake up 2-3 times over night and the only way she'll calm down and go back to sleep is to feed her. That'll happen a few night in a row, then for a night or two she'll sleep through the night and I'll feel like my bb's are about to explode!

That's just at night! During the day she has decided she only wants to nurse around 11, 1:30, 8 and 9 (or there-about). I'm GUESSING that's why she wants to eat so much at night. But no matter what I do, she gets distracted and won't eat more than 3-4 times during the day, if I'm lucky.

Last night she got up FIVE times over night and wanted to eat every time! Talk about a walking zombie today! Jeesh! She has another tooth ready to come in (I think it'll pop through by tomorrow) so HOPEFULLY she will start sleeping through the night again for awhile after that!

So my BB's don't know what to do

They feel SO full most of the time lately and I don't know if I shoudl pump to get some of the "excess" out or if that will only make it worse!

Old 04-01-09, 05:26 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

most of the time a baby will cluster feed in the evenings to tank up for a long period of sleep. but if she is not doing that a few hours before bed then it may be why she is waking during the night. the best way to help it is to start a bedtime routine and start winding down an hour or so before bed with a bath, maybe read a book turn off the TVís and turn down the lights and let her nurse as much as possible and if she is teething it might help to give her some orajel and even some Tylenol for the pain. good luck and I hope this phase passes soon!
Thank you imagine!
koala_kaper (04-01-09)

Old 04-01-09, 06:08 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

sunds like you're in desperate need of a schedule.

If - during the day - you take a time out for all those regular snack times and food breaks, and nothing else is going on and the whole rest of the house is silent, she has nothing left to do BUT to do what she's supposed to do. No distractions to prevent her from nursing as planned....

Start being more deliberate in your actions and your schedule and she'll have no alternative to comply, You'll find all the difficulties with sleep and eating will disappear.

Old 04-01-09, 06:10 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

oh, and she might not be getting enough sleep either.
babies that wake up with the 'night terrors' and will only be consoled with the boob are oftentimes really just suffering from the vicious cycle of not enough sleep. Doing a little more of the forcing of the nap issue during the day and making sure she's not hungry at night will help all that too.

Old 04-01-09, 08:29 PM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Weekly Activity 8%

I don't know that she necessarily has "night terrors" She kinda whines and wimpers when she wakes up, unless she's really gassy (she's the gassiest baby I know and she has medicine for that that I giove her when needed), but then wo't go back to sleep by just having her back rubber, or even just being held (even though it's dark, she's thinking playtime!) She only goes back to sleep if I feed her.

Last night she was up most of the night, but i think it's bc her eye hurt (she scratched it) and we were out of infant tylenol

But she should be better tonight. I plan on doing better feeding her an hour or two before bedtime and we'll see if that helps! She had a couple of really nice naps today (probably fro being up so much alst night!) so I have a feeling we'll have a rather "good" night ahead of us :xfinger:

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools