Baby Corner

Old 10-13-09, 10:48 PM
Lovin My Family!

Thanked 124 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%
Question My food intake

Baby DS had been colicky for over a week and the Dr told me that it could possibly be something in my diet that caused it to happen. Right after his birth he was on Enfamil Lipil and he couldn't tolerate it, so we changed him to Enfamil Prosobee. His tolerance to it was just fine. Then once I built up a good enough milk supply, he has been on breastmilk ever since. It got me thinking, if he couldn't tolerate the regular formula, would me eating/drinking dairy products be affecting him?

What could I be eating/drinking that might have caused him to have colic?

Old 10-13-09, 11:10 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

Our son was similar in the beginning so I cut out all dairy and he was better. When we started feeding him solids I mixed it once with formula and the area around his eyes got all red and DH was calling him Raccoon Boy, so we're convinced that he has some kind of allergy to milk.

He's now 8 months old and I have a glass of milk with dinner and he does just fine.

Try cutting out dairy for 2-4 weeks and see how that affects him. It was VERY difficult for me because I'm a true milk lover but I knew that my short-term loss was for his long-term gain.

Old 10-14-09, 08:17 AM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Make sure you give it at least 3-4 weeks. It takes a really long time to get all the milk out of your body.

Old 10-14-09, 03:43 PM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

DD is definitely sensitive to dairy- dairy and caffeine I think are the number one culprits. Also, any gassy vegetables like broccoli and cabbage or beans. It made a big difference when I gave up dairy and beans. Also, I mentioned in another post that it sounds as if your baby's symptoms might not just be colic? Hope had some of the same problems and she has GERD. She has the kind where nothing usually comes up when she spits up- she just kind of coughs and it goes back down which is painful. So, we didn't figure out what was causing her pain until the doc put all of the symptoms together. Check out this website and see if it sounds like your little guy. Hope is now on Zantac and is so much better- almost pain free between that and the changes I made in my diet.

I know we hurt when our baby's hurt and I hope your DS is feeling better soon!

Old 11-06-09, 08:12 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

has He been fine until now? if he is just now started to develop the symptoms then I would not think it was something in your diet. unless you just added something different to your diet that you weren't eating before?
What are his symptoms and are they at a certain time of day?
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools