Baby Corner

Old 09-23-08, 12:13 PM
Community Member

Thanked 21 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.33%
Default Nervous

I'm kind of nervous about bf-ing. I read the 'breastfeeding apprehension' thread by BabyBump, but my apprehensions aren't the same as hers, so I thought I'd make a new thread. I want to bf, but I don't know if I will be able to. I had problems bf-ing my son, my body didn't agree with it or something. He was almsot 6 weeks early, I hadn't started leaking colostrum, and it took me two days of pumping before I was able to get just the littlest bit for him. Because he was a premie, he spent his first two weeks in the hospital, so after I was discharged (two days after he was born), I was pumping at home and taking it back to the hospital the next day. After he came home I was bf-ing him and pumping, but he never acted like he was getting enough when I nursed. I could nurse for an hour or more and still have to give him a bottle. I got a cold when he was about 2 months old and my body stopped producing completely. I guess I was somewhat lucky since I didn't have to go through the pain of weaning, but I would really like to be able to bf longer than that with this baby. I plan on taking a bf class, if I can get into one at this late a date. I guess the thing that has me most worried is the fact that, even though I am at 36 weeks now, I still have not started leaking. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 09-23-08, 02:32 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 4501.33%

I did not "leak" at all. I think when I was in my 39th week, if I squeezed them I could see something come out, but I never started leaking.

Kendall was born via scheduled c-section a week before her due date. We had trouble bfing in the hospital and I honestly think part of it came from bringing her into this world without her being ready. I also have flat-ish nipples. We tried to nurse and I also pumped in the hospital, so she mainly received breast milk via a bottle. I was shown how to use a nipple shield as well. At home, I nursed with the shield all the time for a few weeks, giving her no bottles at all, until I gradually was able to take away the sheild completely. She now takes bottles of breast milk during the day while I am at work and we nurse at home. It took time and lots of patience, but I am glad I stuck with it.

If you can take the BF class, I think it would be a good idea. One of my mistakes was reading WAY too much info on BFing along with taking the class. I had information over-load and kept focusing on the sections where it stated the issues/problems that women encounter and found that I had all of them! It got much easier when I stopped reading the books and just did it, whether or not I was doing "by the book."

Good luck!
Thank you MrsS1stbaby!
MommyBrown (10-04-08)

Old 10-03-08, 11:58 PM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

I never leaked until my actual milk came in 4 days after I gave birth. With my dd I had all sorts of issues with breastfeeding. So before I had my ds I was very nervous. I haven't had any problems nursing my son at all - it's a different experience each time. So hopefully you'll have a great experience this time around and everything will come easily for you and your little one. Good luck!
Thank you Jen_C!
MommyBrown (10-04-08)

Old 10-04-08, 12:06 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

I also did not leak until after my milk came in. If it makes you feel more confident the main reason most woman give up is because they are afraid the baby is not getting enough to eat because they cry to nurse so often when breastfeeding. Itís normal for then to want to cry and they do it for many reasons, they do it for comfort and food, and also because breast milk does digest so well that it's out of their system sooner then formula. as long as your baby is having enough wet and poopy diapers and is gaining weight properly, and seems at least a little satisfied right after eating then he/she is getting enough. even if 30 min latter they cry to nurse again. And just remember that this nursing all the time is not for ever. It usually last the fist 1-4 months and then they eat more at once and nurse less often because they will have the hang of it and the baby will be strong enough to suckle more milk at once!
Hope this helps! And you have us on here if you need any advice.

Last edited by imagine; 10-04-08 at 10:54 PM.
Thank you imagine!
MommyBrown (10-04-08)

Old 10-04-08, 04:43 PM
Community Member

Thanked 21 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

Thanks ladies. We used the shield with my son the whole time I was bfing him. I couldn't get him to latch without it. I think the main cause for our problems was that he was 6 weeks early. Hopefully it will be easier this time around.

I'm scheduled for a bfing class on Saturday the 11th. As long as our little girl doesn't decide to come early, I'm also scheduled for a c-section on the 13th. We'll see what happens.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools