Baby Corner

Old 08-03-05, 01:27 PM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 420%

Oh Peggy I sooo know where you're coming from! My son did the same thing (constant nursing) for the first 7 or 8 weeks. He'd eat from 8 or 9am until noon or so, sleep for 3 or 4 hours and then it would start all over again around 4 pm and last until he fell asleep around 10 or 11 pm!! While all this was taking place I still had to tend to my other 3 kids and cook and clean. (That 4 hour "break" when he slept was certainly put to good use! ) It was sooo busy but I'm glad that I stuck it out because Nick's feeding patterns have certainly changed alot since then. We are cruising right along now and I'm really, really enjoying every minute of it. I agree with Tracy and Karen- lots and lots of water and a pacifier will help with the constant nursing. I use one too because Nick isn't always hungry but likes to suck/nurse before falling asleep. The binky is very helpful with that.
Does your baby pull and tug on your breast before he lets go and cries? Nicholas has been doing this alot lately and I'm sure it's because he's just too impatient waiting for the milk to come down. He gets all wiggly and such, but then calms right down once the milk starts flowing. Just a thought.

Old 08-04-05, 02:48 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I've found that when Rosie starts to eat and then pulls away and screams that she's tired. I stop trying to feed her and just rock her until she falls asleep - which sometimes takes a long time.

As soon as she wakes up and is groggy I feed her.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. It is so frustrating. Try to relax and know that this stage will be over eventually.

Old 08-04-05, 07:34 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Sheri that is exactly what he does. He pulls on my nipple and then starts crying. He's done that from the beginning and that's why we started giving him bottles. I spent the 4th of July weekend in tears because he was doing that and I couldn't get him to nurse. Finally DH said we should give him a bottle because he had to eat and he had already lost a pound at that point.
As far as giving him a pacifier most of the time he won't take one. We've tried to give him one many times when he wants to use me as a pacifier and he just spits them back out. We have 3 different kinds and he doesn't seem to be happy with any of them. He used to take 2 of them but he won't anymore. Maybe because he's gotten used to using me as one. I know there are times he just wants to suck, especially when he's tired because as soon as I put him on he closes his eyes and is asleep.
The pediatrician said to try different kinds of pacifiers so I guess we'll have to go to the store and see what other kinds we can find.
The good news is he had gained weight at his appointment on Tuesday, the bad news is now they say he gained too much. He went from 8lbs 13oz two weeks ago to 10lbs 3oz on Tuesday and grew an inch since birth.

Old 08-04-05, 08:54 AM
Computer Geek & Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Wow, sounds like he WAS having a growth spurt there!

I would try pumping and feeding him what you've pumped as well as keep trying to get him to nurse. As others have said, it's harder work than the bottle and the milk doesn't come as soon as they start to suck so they can get impatient and frustrated.

Old 08-04-05, 11:51 AM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

if he's latching on and then fussing, perhaps you need to 'prime' your milk jugs first.

I mean, you need to make sure you have let your milk down before he latches on. That way, he gets that instant gratification that he appears to be looking for.
Alot of women don't let their milk down until the baby has started nursing and has sucked for a minute or so. THEN the milk is released. So a baby who is impatient or is used to the instant milk of the bottle will be REALLY impatient if they have to suck -- and there isn't any milk from the get go.
To prime your jugs

just hand express into a cloth diaper until you feel the let down, then latch him on.

Also, as for the pacifier. Most babies aren't exactly spitting the pacifier out, they aren't capable of keeping it in their mouths until they're around 3 months old. If you hold it in so it won't fall out, they will suck usually.
A baby who doesn't want the pacifier will thrash their head from side to side if it's in their mouth, will bat at their mouth with their hands, and cry with their mouth open while trying to get it the rest of the way out.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools