Baby Corner

Old 02-27-07, 02:35 PM
Community Member
Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default New and clueless :-)

Hi everyone. I'm Crystal. I'm 6 weeks away from my scheduled c-section with baby boy #2. I wasn't able to breastfeed my first son but have my heart set on it with this one. I've read lots of material and books but I guess I'm just waiting to experiece the real thing and then I'm sure I'll be full of questions and needing advice. I bought a pump. The Avent Isis Via. Then the ladies at WIC told me not to buy one cause they had them so I'm not sure if I should return the one I bought or not. I'm also confused about clothing. I have 2 pairs of nursing pajamas and a few bras but should I get the special shirts they have with the slits and hidden openings? I have a nuzzle nursing wrap also. Anyway, sorry for the ramble post. Just trying to get myself prepared for this little one. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 02-27-07, 04:19 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2
Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

I find the special shirts constricting (the openings don't seem big enough for larger breasts). I prefer loose shirts I can lift y\up. If you're doing your research and are set on bf, you'll probablybe successful. It's a great experience!
Old 02-28-07, 08:07 PM
Community Member
Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I bought a nursing camisole/tank top and wore a t-shirt over that. I bought the camisole at Walmart for $10 I think. I think my best advice is to consult a lactation consultant you trust, attend a breastfeeding support group (if there's one near you), get plenty of rest, drink plenty of water, and trust your body. Rhiannon and I took about 6 weeks to "get" breastfeeding". Some babies take to it right away, others don't. It can be frustrating but it's so worth it if it's what you want and what works for your family.
Good luck to you!
Old 02-28-07, 08:32 PM
Long Time Member
Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I never used any of the special shirts. They were just too weird for me. I did use the nursing bras and found a couple that I really liked (don't get underwire!! ) and stuck with those.

lifting up the shirt works so much better for me.

Just remember to drink water like nobody's business! One full glass of water for each nursing session and then water on top of that!!
Old 02-28-07, 08:37 PM
Kids... 24/7
Thanked 265 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

My advice would be to go into it with hopes for the best, but being prepared for a bumpy road. Find the name/number of a lactation consultant now (maybe your OB/GYN knows of one), there are breastfeeding classes which are just a one night thing... take the class before you give birth, and talk to friends/family who've breastfed their kids.
I'm very glad that I breastfed my kids. It took my first son and I a couple weeks to get into our groove, but after that, it was great. My second son just came out KNOWING what to do (which was very nice).
I know my kids aren't NEARLY as sick as other kids and when they DO get sick it's pretty mild and only lasts a couple days... I attribute that to my breastfeeding them!!

OH... I never used the special shirts or nightgowns... my breasts are too big (and after they filled up with milk they were WAY too big). I just wore shirts that were big and comfortable. I did use nursing bras.

Last edited by Heidi1361; 02-28-07 at 08:39 PM.
Post Reply Post New Topic  

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools