Baby Corner

Old 12-15-08, 06:01 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Default night weaning

does anyone have any tips to keep my son from wanting to nurse during the night! we co-sleep so I know that is not helping but he does not do it everynight but latley he has been doing it severl times a night! he is 16 months now and I dont mind that he is not weined yet but I have only ever heard of kids self weining, and my ds is not even close to doing that and I fear he never will! lol
my mil and fil like to give me crap by saying he should be weined by 15 months at the latest! they, and all these other people that did not even breatfeed their kids keep telling me he is too old but I dont think he is.
I want to get him just to bed time and nap time and that's it but he just cired and cires if I dont let him nurse when he wants. and then nobody in the house gets any sleep!

Old 12-15-08, 07:37 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 87.14%

My DD nightweaned at 16 months. We co-slept also, first off make sure you are wearing a bra to bed, easier access can make it harder to say no. The first night I nursed when we went to bed like always. I had been telling her all day that when she woke up in the middle of the night she wasn't getting any boobie. The first time she woke up she cried and cried and cried. I was about 30-40 minutes of crying. I am not a CIO kind of mom so this was hard, but I also felt that because I was with her trying to soothe her and offer comfort that it wasn't the same as the traditional CIO. The next time she woke up she cried for about 20 minutes or so, didn't wake up again that night. The second night she cried about 15 or 20 minutes and nothing on the third night and she didn't even wake up. My dd was completely weaned by 2 years. Don't let anyone tell you when to wean your son, as long as it is working for both of you then tell everyone else to kiss your butt.
Thank you Valleygirl!
imagine (12-16-08)

Old 12-16-08, 11:39 AM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

thanks! I figured I would have to let him CIO also, becasue I have tired everything else. maybe I will do it around christmas when dh is on vacation and wont need his sleep for work! lol

Old 12-16-08, 03:55 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

you can also have a bottle or sippy of water instead to substitute. When they realize in the middle of the night that all they get is water, they decide on their own (after the crying bouts for 20 or so minutes) that its not worth waking up for anymore.

You can also just give her the pacifier as a substitute (if she even remotely accepts a pacifier)

and lastly, just ignore and let her CIO. It totally works and isn't as awful as some people make it out to be. (yeah, its hard to hear, but its only for a couple days).
just rub the back or tuck her in and whisper "you're okay, go sleepy sleep" or whatever you usually say to soothe....
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools