Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding Nursing right after birth?

Nursing right after birth?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 02-08-08, 09:41 AM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Question Nursing right after birth?

After I had Cora everything honestly is one big blur! I remember what happened, just not when or in what order.

I know I didn't nurse her right away - I didn't even think about it and none of the nurses mentioned it. I think it was the fact that she was SCREAMING her head off, even when they took her to the nursery. I don't know when I finally was able to feed her - maybe 3 hours after she was born or something like that.

So I was just wondering - is it really normal to nurse right after birth? I've heard it's very important, but for some reason I feel so weird and akward about doing it.

I'm guessing it's all the nurses and that hectic feeling from so much going on. I just feel weird trying to nurse for the first time in front of so many people (especially since I really don't have a clue what I'm doing)

Old 02-08-08, 09:47 AM
is having another baby! Holy cow!!
Community Member

Thanked 196 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I think at the hospital I'm going to they encourage it within the first hour, although you can push to do it right away if you want to.

I'm adopting a wait and see attitude on this one. Depends on how things go, I guess...

Old 02-08-08, 10:50 AM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

The reason that "they" say it is important is so the baby can latch and breastfeed easier. For some reason studies have shown that babies that are allowed to feed soon after birth do better at bf than thos that are made to wait.
I would say you should do whatever makes you comfortable. If you want to nurse right after birth, make sure that the l&d nurses know so they can help you with it.
I didn't even get to meey Erin until about 4 or 5 hours after she was born since I was totally out for her birth and didn't wake up until hours later. We are doing fine with breastfeeding so far (3 months later)
Good Luck!

Last edited by teddybear1082; 02-08-08 at 09:59 PM.

Old 02-08-08, 10:52 AM
is living life..
VIP Member

Thanked 263 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I had c-sections and nursed both babies while in recovery..

Old 02-08-08, 11:03 AM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I dont remember either how long it was but I had GD and so they had to check DS blood sugar and since it was low they said they had to feed him formula to get it back up. but I was nursing within the first 5 hours and he never had formula again once we got home.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools