Baby Corner

Old 04-02-09, 10:22 AM
is shocked!
Moma to 3 amazing kids!

Thanked 986 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 21.22%
Question OK ladies

I need some of your knowledge. I am almost 17 weeks pregnant with my 3rd, but this is the first time I will breastfeed. I was younger when I had them and I felt like it was frowned upon but I am more mature now and know what is best for my baby. So my question to you ladies is...What all do I need to breastfeed? I will be going back to work at 6 weeks and will have little time to pump. How often will I have to pump at work. Ideally I would like to do it just on my lunch break but I dont know if that is applicable? I dont want to have to supplement unless I have to. So I need to know if I will need creams, nursing pads, bras? What. Please enlighten me!

Old 04-02-09, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 25.31%

You will definitely definitely need a good breastpump. The Medela Pump In Style is the best one I know of. I made the mistake of thinking I wouldn't need it and went back crying for it a couple days later.

If it were me, I would sign up for a breastfeeding class at the hospital. I was sooooo enlightened by it. I thought you put the baby up to your boob and ah.... suppertime. Not so much! There is a lot to it, but once you get used to it, it's a wonderful thing to do for you and your baby. They will give you lists of everything you need, and even show you video and stuff. If I didn't have the class, I don't know that I would have been able to bf successfully.

You will need breast pads (I liked the disposable ones with the sticky tabs on the back) and since it wil lbe summer, I suggest getting the LilyPadz too. They're reusable and they don't show under your clothes like the disposables would-- I wore them at the pool and with some of my lighter summer clothes, but I wore the disposables for every day.

How often you'll have to pump is very personal. I have huge boobs and could get nearly 6 oz or more out of each, and my supply never went down from pumping to a bottle. Many of my friends had to supplement once they went back to work.

The one piece of advice I'd give you is to make it work for YOU. Don't feel guilty if you have to supplement, or have to pump to a bottle, etc. Once the hospital found out I was breastfeeding, they didn't tell me that I might not have enough in the beginning, and I tried to feed Josh for like 4 hours straight and he kept crying. Finally, they said "Oh, you could give him some formula." I gave him literally 1 ounce, and he was sleeping peacefully. He never had any more.

Good luck! Definitely take a class.

Old 04-02-09, 12:21 PM
is shocked!
Moma to 3 amazing kids!

Thanked 986 Times
Weekly Activity 21.22%

Yeah I am def gonna take the class! Thanks Jeanne!!!

Old 04-02-09, 01:30 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 2755.92%

IA, a breastfeeding class would be a great idea! We took one and I am so glad I did, and am glad Dh went with me b/c it allowed him to be much more supportive than I think he would have been otherwise.

-Definitely get a good pump; I use the Medela Pump In Style Advanced which is basically hositpal-grade.
-You will also need some sort of breast cream like Lanisoh; there are other brands, but we were told that Lanisoh ONLY makes thins related to breastfeeding so they do it really well.
-I used breast pads for leaking only for a week or so, just get a box or 2 until you know you will need more. (I have a friend that still needs them 6 months later!) I've also heard a cheap option is using panty-liners cut in half since it has sticky stuff on the back as well.
-A pillow for breastfeeding such Boppy, My Breastfriend, etc. I have a Boppy, but am going to try My Breastfriend next time. Seems like it would be more supportive on my back.
-A few nursing bras: 2-3 for work & one sports bra/comfy one for sleeping

I think the most important thing if you are going back to work & want to continue BF is to start feeling out your bosses/HR about how they feel about pumping before you leave for maternity leave. I expressed my desire to pump before I left, then about a week before I returned I called & spoke to HR about where I could do it. If you can, you really should consider pumping at least twice a day if you can't 3x. Everyone's supply/pumping experience is different, and you will need to prepared that you may have to supplement. The more relaxed you are, the better the experience will be for everyone! I started having to supplement around 4 months and I was pretty dang proud of myself!

Last edited by MrsS1stbaby; 04-02-09 at 02:43 PM.
Thank you MrsS1stbaby!
Keepers (04-02-09)

Old 04-02-09, 02:44 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I'd say you will probably want to find MORE time to pump while at work.
Generally speaking, you should pump as often as the baby nurses. Ie: you either pump or nurse, but if you're not nursing and the baby is taking a bottle, then you should be pumping. Which means, at 6 week, that's still about once every 2-3 or so hours.

the boppy pillow (or some other nursing pillow) works great with the baby. You won't need that for pumping.
a great pump is necessary if you plan on doing it while at work

you'll find which breast pads work best for you.

Lansinoh makes your nipples feel better when they're raw in the beginning.

The class will help you a ton. And don't be afraid do invent new ways of doing things that work for YOU.
I nursed until I went back to work and then whatever I had saved in the freezer was it. I didn't feel at all bad for switching to formula after that. I didn't feel like a failure for not being able to pump while at work. That was just WAY too stressful for me so I bagged it all. Remember, stress decreases the milk supply. I was already sleep deprived, no need in adding that much more stress to my life

Thank you skyqueen!
Keepers (04-02-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools