Baby Corner

Old 05-21-05, 02:05 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default ouch! Advice needed

Rosalie was born just three days ago and I'm exclusively breast feeding her on demand. I'm not sure if my latch is right. I know at first it wasn't. She only had the nipple in her mouth. I adjusted and I think I've got it right but I'm still experiencing pain. I don't know if it's because they got sore from the earlier poor latches or if she's still just not latching on right. It only hurts for the first 30 seconds or so and then doesn't. I can tell she's swallowing and seems to suck really well. Any thoughts from you experienced moms?

Thanks!

p.s. she's adorable!

Old 05-21-05, 02:18 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 1220%

As long as it is only hurting for a short time right at the beginning and you are making sure your latch is good, it is normal. If I remember correctly I had a sharp pain that lasted for about 30 seconds to the first minute when DD was brand new. I think it takes a little while, like 2 weeks or so for you nipples to get totally used to the sucking. Even though they are tiny those little ones can suck pretty darn hard!
Good Luck and Good job for given your little lady such a healthy and special start!

Old 05-21-05, 04:29 PM
Henner & Renna's Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Check out these online videos

...even I learned something after watching them when I wanted a refresher for my DS (and I BF my DD for 2 years!!!)

This is also my favorite online description of good latching with great pics!

Old 05-21-05, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

I wouldn't call myself an "experienced" mom, but I have the same thing with my baby, but it still hurts at first, and he's 5 weeks old. I noticed that I was all tensed up too when he latched on, and I (still) have to make an effort to relax my shoulders and take a deep breath and exhale, and that really seemed to help.
Also, our hospital has lactation consultants, and I had Josh's ped order a lactation consult. It was wonderful-- they weighed him before and after to see how much he was getting, and watched me go through a "normal" feeding to see what I was doing and how they could help me. You might try that, too. Good luck!

Old 05-22-05, 02:56 PM
Mom to 3 (7,5,3)

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

It is completely normal. I have nursed all 3 of my kiddos, still nursing one, and it has hurt like you describe.

You are doing the right thing by taking her off and making sure she takes the whole thing and not just nipple. Your nipples have to toughen up, and it can take anywhere from a week to a month.

GL.

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools