Baby Corner

Old 01-05-10, 12:32 PM
Community Member

Thanked 86 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Default Over abundance of milk!

Ok... I know I shouldn't complain, but I swear there is no way that my daughter will ever need all the milk I pump. Morgan was born about 4 weeks early so I had to pump exclusively in the beginning since she would never latch on or if she did she would fall asleep. I have never had problems with supply and by the time she left the NICU I had enough milk to feed a small village!

I'm pumping 1-2 times a day while at work and I will get 15-25oz depending on how many times I pump.

I typically have to pump the other breast she doesn't nurse on or even sometimes pump first since my let down can be so strong and I end up spraying her in the face. LOL I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. Of course everywhere I check the only info I can find is when the supply is low. I'm def. not complaining but just wanted to know if anyone else was dealing with the same thing.

Old 01-07-10, 06:05 PM
is Mama to 4
Community Member

Thanked 9 Times
Weekly Activity 15.71%

Be thankful! I always had a problem with low supply. I'll have to find out your secret when this little guy gets here!!

Old 01-08-10, 12:02 AM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

It's great to have an over supply but if you want your supply to go down you will have to pump less. your body will make as much milk as it needs and it knows how much to make based on how often the baby nurses/you pump. It's common to have the over active let down that is more then the baby can handle but as she gets older that will get easier. and she will get use to it.
I would try to avoid pumping before and after she nurses because it will only increase your over production and let down. So it's fine to have to much milk but if you want to make a bit less I would only pump at work while the baby is not able to nurse.
congrats on the new baby it sounds like your doing well!

Last edited by imagine; 01-08-10 at 12:05 AM.

Old 02-27-10, 04:57 PM
is loving being a Mum to a miracle
British Community Leaders

Thanked 283 Times
Weekly Activity 15.71%

I too have the same problem. Lots of milk, forceful let-down and a drowned little lady who often coughs and splutters at each nursing session.

I too couldn't find much info, but then saw that KellyMom had some great advice, you might want to check there. You might also want to consider donating your excess?
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools