Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding Pulling off and pulling back

Pulling off and pulling back

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 03-04-06, 12:19 PM
Is now legally Mrs. DP

Thanked 18 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.25%
Default Pulling off and pulling back

Does anybody ever experience this while BF?? Sometimes Naia will just pull back while still attached to my nipple and O

Other times she keeps coming unlatched and then goes back on. It doesn't seem to bother her, she just unlatches, opens wide again, and re-latches herself. Sometimes she only latches on to the end of my nipple and OW!! I gotta break the latch and get her back on right. She'll do this about 15 times in a row.

I've heard about sometimes let down isn't fast enough or too fast, but that's not my problem because I'm nursing her with an SNS and trying to bring my milk supply in. So, the flow should be just perfect.

Sometimes I think she does it because she has gas. She'll get squirmy, unlatch, fart, latch, unlatch, fart, squirm, squirm, fart, unlatch, latch. LOL!! It's crazy!!!!!

Old 03-04-06, 12:34 PM
is wondering around the boards again!!
Mommy of 3

Thanked 316 Times
Weekly Activity 1.25%

Are you noticing if there is alot going on when she does her unlatching, my nephew was giving my sister a hard time yesterday cuz ther was just too much going on around him.

Kaylee does the pull back while still attached and yes it hurts, and i tell her "no no that hurts mommy" and if she contiunes to do it I stop feeding her, and I tell her that hurts mommy as I unlatch her. But she normally does it when my older kids are runing around, So i guess what i am saying is it could be that she is getting distracted, or it could be the gas.

Old 03-04-06, 01:54 PM
Proudly South African mom

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 1.25%

My DS used to do the stretchy nipple thing - ow! My DD does the stop-start nursing a lot, but it also seems to be more when there is something distracting nearby, like the TV or her brother. Hope you figure it out!

Old 03-06-06, 01:34 PM
Is now legally Mrs. DP

Thanked 18 Times
Weekly Activity 1.25%

Hmm...no distractions. The other day I was sitting on our bed nursing her and she was checking out her mobile on the co-sleeper (it wasn't moving, she just got a glimpse of it). A friend of mine told me that if she keeps pulling back with my nipple in her mouth to put my finger in the corner of her mouth and break the latch. I guess that will send a message to her that everytime she pulls back she stops drinking

I have to take Naia to her ENT doc today and the LC's are in the same building. I'm going to stop by and see if I can get an appointment with them.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 03-06-06, 05:54 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 1.25%

Katie does both those things too. If she pulls back on me it's usually because she's being nosey. Sometimes she comes off, beams a cheeky smile at me, then latches back on - at her own speed. If she faffs about like that too much I stop feeding. Feeding her where there are any distractions is getting more of a difficulty the older she gets. If I have to feed her somewhere busy I try to make her wait a little longer than I would normally so she more focused on the feed...
When she does the latch on/off/on thing I've noticed her legs usually are going too, sometimes it's off, cry, on, suck, off, cry. If her legs are going I stop and try winding her and that usually does the trick. (When her legs aren't going it's impatience for my let down / me putting her on the wrong boob, sometimes she'll pound on my boob with her hand if she's getting frustrated)
I've noticed she likes to play with my bra-strap, I'm on the lookout for a brightly coloured necklace to wear to keep her focused towards me (I remember someone posted a link to a site that sold them in the states a while back) in the meantime I play with her upper hand and talk to her.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Wasim!

Calculators & Tools