Baby Corner

Old 06-15-05, 10:38 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 3.43%
Question Pumping for emergency storage

I expect to breastfeed exclusively when my baby is born in January, but I will be going back to work after six months' maternity leave. I don't want to move to formula when I return to work (or even supplement with formula), and I want to make sure there's milk in the freezer in case my husband needs some when I'm out of the house. I'm very lucky that my employer gives big subsidies on electric pumps ($139 for the Medela pump in style).

I'd like to start pumping milk right away to set up a supply in the freezer once my milk comes in, but I'm not sure how you would go about that. One book suggested breastfeeding the baby on one side each feeding, then pumping the other side, and starting the baby on the pumped side at the next feeding.

I know a lot of you are SAHMs, but thought you could give me a bit of guidance from your experience.

Old 06-16-05, 11:00 AM
CL & Perpetual Pollyanna

Thanked 24 Times
Weekly Activity 0.57%

I definately get the best results when I pump one side and nurse from the other at the same time. It does take some practice to juggle everything, but once you're used to it there's no problem.

Vicki Lynn

Old 06-17-05, 02:51 PM
Proudly South African mom

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0.57%

I only started pumping once my children were a few months old, but if you want to trick your boobs into producing more milk, (so that you can get a bigger stash), pump AFTER each feed from as soon as you are home. Your breasts will produce enough for twins at first, and if you keep stimulating them they will continue to do so, so that you can freeze the excess. If you want to stop expressing, your production will decrease until you have enough for your baby only - if YKWIM? All the best!

Old 06-17-05, 10:12 PM
is wondering how much more I can take!!
Community Member

Thanked 109 Times
Weekly Activity 29.14%

I started pumping the day I came home from the hospital. At first you will only get a little bit because your milk hasnt fully come in yet but if you stay faithful to that pump, you will be able to get tons of milk. I would pump on one side while feeding my baby at the same time. If I fed him first and them pumped on the other side, I wouldnt get as much. I got more doing it while nursing. I would also pump on the side he nursed on after he was done nursing. Also, try to drink a full glass of water while you are pumping/nursing. That helps a lot. Eat Oatmeal like it is the only thing around and if you want to, take Fenugreek (3 pills 3 times a day). You will start to smell like maple syrup but you will have sooooo much breastmilk that you will never have to worry about running out. I would also try and pump both sides in between feedings (for example, if he went 2 hours between feedings, I would pump after 1 hour). I had become best friends with my breast pump. I never ran out of milk and I still had about 4 months worth of breast milk once I stopped nursing. It does work and takes time and dedication but it can be done. Good Luck!!!!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools