Baby Corner

Old 07-15-05, 01:38 PM
Summer

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.67%
Question Question...

Well after Alyssa doing cluster feeding for a 2nd day I thought maybe I should start pumping. I'm worried that she's not getting enough. I read that cluster feeding happens when your supply gets low and they nurse more to boost it back up and/or she's going through a growth spurt. Well when I pump I'm only getting 1 oz at a time. I'd rather just nurse and forget pumping but this is making me wonder. I put a call into the lacation nurse and I'm waiting for her to give me a call back. I've been up since 4am w/ Alyssa and she's nursed every hour till 8am. Just need some peace of mind that everything's okay. I finally got her to sleep but she wakes up whimpering every so often. I know you can tell by their diapers but still I can't help but wonder. I'm such a worry wart!

Old 07-15-05, 01:50 PM
tired mommy of 2

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

I have never been able to get too terribly much with my pump at a time. Your baby is a much better pump and gets more than any machine could. She is heading into a great time for a growth spurt too. I know it can be very frustrating when they eat so often and act like they are STARVING!!! Kaden seemed like his first 3 months were just one big growth spurt.....I was at my wits end most of the time.

I hope the LC can calm some of your worries. You are doing an AWESOME job!!!

Old 07-15-05, 02:04 PM
Summer

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

TY for the support. I contacted my lactation nurse and I'm waiting for her to call me back. I also emailed a couple ladies at La Leche. I don't wanna quit nursing. So I'm up for anything. I'm also gonna ask about something to help boost my milk supply and see if that helps.

Old 07-15-05, 02:06 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

You will never get the same amount with pumping as your baby can get with her hungry jaws.

I would boost my water and oatmeal intake and then you may find that this growth spurt cluster feeding evens right out.

Old 07-15-05, 03:26 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

Rhiannon cluster fed at about 8 days and I thought I was going to lose my mind. She did it again the beginning of the week (she's 5 weeks now, another growth spurt possibly). I read and was told when they cluster feed they're boosting your milk supply by telling your body to make more milk. I worry too that I'm not enough sometimes but I count diapers and she looks hydrated and bigger than she was (we have a weight check on Tues). I hope someone gets back to you and helps put your mind at ease. I think as new moms we just naturally worry. You're probably doing fine. Keep it up!!!

Latest Articles
Maternity Belts To Relieve Back and Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy
Consider using a maternity belt to help relieve the back and pelvic pressure and pain you might feel during your third trimester of pregnancy.

Headaches and Migraines in Pregnancy: What are Your Options?
If you suffer from migraine headaches, they be felt more often during pregnancy. However, there are things you can do during to feel better. Here are natural, and medical remedies that can help.

Fertility Rates In Career Women Are Rising
Fertility rates are rising for career women, as it is becoming less difficult to raise a family while working. Here are some facts and tips to help guide you along the way.

Pregnancy Loss: Don’t Suffer in Silence
Coping with a pregnancy loss is just as devastating as losing a loved one.

Should Pregnant Women Who Drink Alcohol Go to Jail?
The controversy over pregnant women drinking alcohol continues, but should they go to jail for it?

October 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Callum is about to be a big brother!" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations emilygrace87!

Calculators & Tools