Baby Corner

Old 06-18-09, 09:59 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1220%

I am not given time specifically for pumping but I am given two breaks a day and I use those to pump, well most times I come home on my lunch break and nurse her. I also pump just before I go to bed at night, just to add to our supply. DD takes only EBM, my goal is to make it to 1 year and then after that I let the baby self-wean. DD #1 nursed until she was almost 2, DS until he was 15 months.
If you plan on pumping just make sure you get a good electric double pump. I have a Medela PIS and I love it! It is awesome. Also invest in a good bfing pillow I have used a boppy but with baby #2 found a nursing pillow called My Breastfriend and it is the bomb. Once you are comfortable and established it isn't so necessary, but those first weeks when you can have latch and nipple and adjustment issues I have found no better pillow for keeping baby right where you need them to be. GOOD LUCK!
Thank you Valleygirl!
Keepers (06-18-09)

Old 06-19-09, 01:58 AM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

my pediatrician told me that "picky babies" seem to prefer Carnation Good Start formula.
I think that you should just go with whatever you want (or get the most free samples of

) and if there are problems, THEN go out and look for a different brand.
Sometimes, the iron is the problem, sometimes, it's the lactose... you just never know what'll be best for an individual until you start the process.

The one thing that is sure, though,... adding formula will decrease your milk supply. Less demand of you = less production. Simple fact.
Thank you skyqueen!
Keepers (06-19-09)

Old 06-19-09, 11:37 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

You'll probably hear this a lot in the breastfeeding class, but your body is a manufacturing plant--NOT a storage unit. You won't just store extra milk; if you don't demand it of your body, your body will not produce it. So this means that the more you nurse/pump, the more your body will make.

Finding time to pump will be crucial to your long-term nursing goals.

Keep coming here with as many questions as you have. We've all been there.

Thank you Dopey406!
Keepers (06-19-09)

Old 06-19-09, 01:05 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

I wanted to add, I don't think there are laws in my state either that make it to where they had to allow me to pump, but I made sure I made it known that I wanted to do it and what did they think of it. We get 2 15min breaks a day, so I would pump during those (although with set-up & clean-up, it often took about 20, but my bosses were understanding) And I also would take an hour lunch and pump for about 20min then. I started out doing in a bathroom that only had 1 stall & a counter-top and would wheel an office chair in there & just lock the door. We had 2 other women bathrooms, so they said it was okay. Then, we ended up having 2 more women who wanted to pump, so we talked to the VP & some other people, and started using a seldom-used conference room. The 3 of us set up a schedule, it was great!

And yes, if you skip pumping sessions, it will affect your production!

I started supplementing dd's EBM around 4 months. (by adding 2oz of formula to a 4oz EBM bottle, stuff like that) I still nursed at home. It wasn't until she started eating baby food, that my production really seemed to lower. Then when she was about 9 months old, we were just constantly on the go, and I would just give a bottle, and not pump, b/c I was too dang tired or didn't have the time. Plus she was fighting me during nursing by biting, pulling hair, etc. Eventually,I would pump twice a day and get like 3oz and decided it wasn't worth it, so we stopped.

Old 06-19-09, 03:02 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

Pump, pump and pump!!! You can do it.
At my job I have pumped in the nurses office, closets and at my desk (door locked, shades drawn and behind a wall). I think it's a good policy to call or email your boss before you go back and have the conversation about where and when so that everyone is on the same page.

There is a great bra available at

that you can use to help you pump hands-free so you can eat at the same time! If you have to crunch your time, this may be worth the investment.

Also, the longer you pump, the more you need to. After a few months I'd need to pump 20 minutes to get the same amount as when I started and it would only take 10-15. The pumps aren't as efficient as a baby and don't drain the breast as well. Get the best pump you can afford so the pumping production doesn't drop off faster than you wish.

What kind of job do you have, btw??
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools